logoff user hang?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

G00k

I just upgraded to XP - so far so good. BUT!

I created four accounts (3 users and 1 "root"). When one has been left idle, and I log them off to then logon mine, the screen goes black and doesn't return to the logon menu. I have waited 15 minutes, but nothing happens. I hit the reset and reboot the system o get a logon. It hasn't complained, but I'm wondering: did I set something up improperly, incompletely, wrong?

Is there a remedy for this? Please give me some insights!

Thanks,

G00k

512mb

Funny it's the same question I was asked on another forum! Great minds think alike, no?

Thanks.

Most people play BF2 have around 1GIG of ram, IDK if it will fix your problem but it sure will help alot of other stuff you do if you put in another 512 stick :D

G00k

No, I'm not playing bf2 (don't even know the contraction...).

No what I'm saying is: that when my system is idle and I log, say, my wife off so I can log on, the system goes away (black screen) and doesn't come back to the login menu.

I have since disabled all power-saving options and am watching to see if that helps.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

BF2 --> well silly me had so many tabs open I posted in the wrong thread.

Basically I can give you the trial and error approach. Before you logoff, close all running programs in the tray such as scanners, firewalls, etc. Then logoff (logoff not switch user). If it still hangs it may be a driver problem or a system problem, if it ceases to hang you have a program issue and you can to one by one shutting down only one program, logging off, and getting back in until you find the culprit. This is a long and boring task but in many cases it will find the one misbehaving part of your system.

G00k

While lying on the beach last week on vacation, I read Tech TV's Windows XP for Home Users. (it had been on my shelf for about a year - as a reference to help me with my son's system.)

It spoke of a quick logoff option, leaving programs open in memory for jumping back and forth without having to close and reopen everything. Well i didn't need that feature and turned it off. (Fast User Switching)

As administrator: User accounts utility -> select change the way users log on or off option. At next screen uncheck use the fast user switching option. OK.

Hasn't been a problem since!

Thanks for your responses!

Thats because you aren't really logging off. It can be a memory hog if you keep doing that and leave a decent amount of programs open.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online