1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Logon problem - no domain

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Zindar, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zindar

Zindar Thread Starter

I am working on a laptop with XP Pro. It is not a member of a domain (though I think it once was). The PC is a member of the workgroup workgroup. Any attempt to logon when not in safe mode generates a " the doman <pc name> is unavailable".

In safemode, I can logon with no problem to any user account. I have changed the name of the PC and the name presented in the above error message will change to match the new PC name. The defaultdomain setting in the registry changes to match the given PC name.

I even created a new user account within safemode and trying to log onto that account when not in safemode generates the domain unavailble message.

From within safemode I have reset the password of all user accounts so they are known.

I have tries with the welcome screen and without it. When not using the welcome screen, the logon box does not have the third Logon To box where I could choose the local pc or the domain, probably because there is no domain to logon to.

ANY insight is greatly appreciated.

Z

2. jmwills

jmwills

Please post the results of an ipconfig /all

3. Zindar

Zindar Thread Starter

You got it:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MyPC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : myhome.westell.com

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 8:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : myhome.westell.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-66-EA-7A-DD
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.47
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, July 10, 2007 10:50:59 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 11, 2007 10:50:59 PM

Let me know if you think of something or if any other data will help.

Z

4. jmwills

jmwills

It appears it has not been unjoined form the Domain due to the"myhome.westell.com" dns suffix information. What does the information say under the Computer name tab in the System Applet?

5. Zindar

Zindar Thread Starter

The option button is set to WORKGROUP and the workgroup name is WORKGROUP.

I had thought of switching to a domain and back again, but I have no domain to join the PC to. Incase it matters, remember that the domain name that it reports not being able to find is always = the PC name.

Is there somewhere in the registry I can remove the domain from?

Thanks for helping out.

Z

6. spudmister

spudmister

try "ipconfig /flushdns" and see if that helps

7. Zindar

Zindar Thread Starter

I get a response that it is unable to flush the DNS.

The user now says they have manualy entered a DNS IP because the use some DNS subscription (I forget which one right now). Is that related? Is it worth while to have them clear out the settings and set them to the default of use automatic settings?

Z

8. jmwills

jmwills

Yes, use the Auto Config (DHCP) option and make sure that no manual entries for DNS are listed.

9. Zindar

Zindar Thread Starter

There was a manual DNS entry, but the settings in advanced were already correct. We removed the settings and switched to DHCP. In addition, we ran the microsoft network ID wizard, and changed the PC name and the domain name.

Still, when the user tries to logon when not ni safe mode they are told that the domain <computer name> does not exist.

More and more.

The use thinks this started when they shut the computer down by removing the power cord one day because the laptop was locked.

Thanks for everyones patience. If you have more ideas, I am still very open (if not desparate) for them.

Z

10. jmwills

jmwills

Create a User ACcount that is a Local Account and not associated with any of the Domain entires.

11. Zindar

Zindar Thread Starter

I had done that before making the DNS changes and even with the newly created account it said the domain was missing.

Is it worth trying again and making another account now that the IP addresses of DNS servers have been removed?

Thanks
    Z

12. jmwills

jmwills

Yes, do it again.

13. Zindar

Zindar Thread Starter

In safe mode, I created a new user, then rebooted and tried to logon as that user. It told me the domain <pc name> was not available.

The user screen shown is the GUI type one, with the pick a task label, instead of the listbox type one that has the user name then the domain name. Not sure that matters but thought I would point it out.

If anyone has another idea, I am all ears and the user is willing to try because I am not sure what to do except reinstall windows at this point.

Z

14. jmwills

jmwills

Why are you doing any of this in Safe Mode? Unjoin from the Workgroup and join anohternamed Test, then unjoin form that one and rejoin Workgroup.

I am begining to suspect Malware.

15. Zindar

Zindar Thread Starter

The only way we can get to the desktop is in safemode.

We have changed workgroups and computer names several times. We always get the domain unavailable message, and it always reflects the correct computer name.

After removing the DNS IP numbers yesterday I also changed the workgoup and computer names as well.

hope is fading isn't it.

Z

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594380

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice