Logon question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Weezow15

Hello, when I turn on my computer and click on my name, it proceeds to log on normally but it sits at the text "loading your personal settings" for about 10 seconds. It never used to do this. Please help me. thanks.

That is not really unusual. Some software you added recently may just take a little longer to load. Is the 10-second wait the problem?

That is not an unusual load time. Things that can affect this might be the amount of icons on the desktop as well as the size of all the files on the desktop. For example one customer I had put actual folders rather than shortcuts to folder on his desktop with something like 75 megs of data. His load time was minutes. After making the changes to shortcuts it decreased dramatically. Also seen general file cleanup help this for some reason as well.

Weezow15

yes the 10 second wait time is the problem. I am going to try to remove some of the bigger files on my desktop. thanks for the advice.

edit: Thanks. I rebooted and logged back on and the loading time is considerably shorter.

How much shorter would you want the load time to be at this point? Optimizing with bootvis may shorten the time further, as well as minimizing startups and defragging (though this may occasionally actually increase the time, it still should be done from time to time). Though certainly a very minor "problem", it can be solved.

Weezow15 said:
edit: Thanks. I rebooted and logged back on and the loading time is considerably shorter.
Your welcome and am glad the time for loading your personal settings is shorter for you. Sounds like it was an easy fix just taking the large files off the desktop. Seen that solve it on more than one occasion.

Another thing you could try to shorten this load time is to disable (or set to "manual") any services that you don't need to start with Windows. If you have added software recently, new services may have been added, too.

In Pro, Run: services.msc

In Home, go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

But those load before personal settings do. From the post, it sounds like the problem is solved and likely the thread can be closed.

It is a perquisite of the original posters and the moderators to determine when a problem is solved. Please confine your remarks to the solution of the problem.

I wasn't asking anyone else to close the thread. No need to get upset. From his post - "Thanks. I rebooted and logged back on and the loading time is considerably shorter.", and that there haven't been any replies since, it sure sounded like he was satisfied with the shorter load time. So letting him know that if he wants he can close the thread. See this mentioned for the posters often on this forum and no one gets so upset. Just a courtesy that all.

Weezow15,

Great. It seemed that way and am glad it was so easy to just put shortcuts on the desktop.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online