Logs off after idle

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

coachdan32

How can I stop my XP Pro machine from logging me off after an idle time frame? I didn't see anything under Power schemes.

Also, after installing SP2, when I check to see if windows firewall is enabled, I get conflicting answers. There was a graphical screen showing that the firewall, automatic updates and internet protection are all on, but when I click the link and turn the firewall off in the dialogue box - it still says it is on upon return to the graphical screen. How can I be sure that it is turned off?

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
It is not technically logging you off. It is just password protecting the system when Idle by either using the ScreenSaver or by Prompting for a password when coming out of Hibernation or Standby.

coachdan32

I don't have a password on the account and it is is an aggravation to have to keep waiting for it to come back up after clicking the logon icon. Can it be bypassed?

Also, I posted more while you were replying. Can you offer any suggestions on that issue?

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Did you check to make sure your Screen Saver is not password protected?

Did you check the Advanced tab in Power settings?

Attachments

coachdan32

I believe I figured it out. There never was a password involved just wanted me to sign on by clicking on my profile icon. However, I found a checkbox on the properties for the screensaver that said for it to return to the welcome screen. Hopefully that will take care of the problem.

coachdan32

That doesn't solve the problem either. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

coachdan32

Surely someone out there has had this problem and figured it out. My XP Home machine does not do this.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online