1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LOL Folder Is This A Virus?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by anais4uk, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anais4uk

anais4uk Thread Starter

I was cleaning up my system today as my son has been downloading stuff and clogging up my comp. I came across a folder which was named LOL, I tried to open it to see what it was and a box came up on my screen saying deleting...... and no mater what I did I could not stop it. I noticed it was deleting all my windows files. I could not get access to the internet and I was scared to turn off my comp incase it wouldn't startup again so I reinstalled windows. I still have not rebooted but I now have access to the internet, but I am having to use netscape 6 as internet explorer is acting strange and will not load up any pages. Does anyone out there know if this folder is a virus or a hoax.

TIA Anais

2. anais4uk

anais4uk Thread Starter

I have found out that LOL.exe is a prank not a virus, which is not dangerous just meant to cause panic.

For anyone out there what may come across this prank this is what was posted to me in another forum.

"WARNING: new computer virus, different then other sorts of viruses,
    this 401 virus doesn't need any file or email transfers, this virus
    works like a 404 page you get when a page doesn't exist.
    PROBLEM:The 401 virus infects your system with 3 files:
    LOL.exe= laugh out loud file
    LMAO.exe= laughing my *** off
    ROTFL.exe= rolling on the floor laughing
    PLATFORM & BROWSERS: Any platform & browser that is connected to the
    DAMAGE: No files will be deleted, just a prank to cause panic.

Anais

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice