1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Long Beep at Computer startup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JCross, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JCross

JCross Thread Starter

Hi everyone, I have a compaq presario with windows xp home, recently I started receiving a long beep when I started my pc. And sometimes (different lengths of time in use) it would shut down and show black screen. I check out the post beeps and thought my memory might not be working right. I tried to reseat the memory, it seemed to clear the long beep, but then I started to do it again, I went and purchased new memory and still it gives a long beep or shuts down at different times in use. No specific pattern. I did notice a win32 error in the error log report. Any ideas as to what might be causing this problems.

Thanks
    Jim

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Have you recently changed anything in the PC before the beeping started?

3. JCross

JCross Thread Starter

No, nothing has changed. It's the original parts from purchase. Except the new memory I reinstalled.

4. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Open the case back up.

Is there any visible damage to the board? Like a skewed bus line or leaky capaciitor?

5. JCross

JCross Thread Starter

Not that I can see. Everythings looks in tact.

6. Mulderator

Mulderator

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Is there a separate video card or does it have onboard video?

8. JCross

JCross Thread Starter

I only have an onboard video card, I just started it up again after reseating the memory to clear the long beep error. I saw a message come up "CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded" could this have anything to do with this problem?

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

That usually means replace the cmos battery

10. Mulderator

Mulderator

As Rich said, may be a bad battery. What I would do is disconnect everything but the hard drive and video and use one stick of memory (if you can) and see if you have the same problem. If so, put the other stick in. At that point, you have pretty much eliminated everything but the MOBO and the power supply.

11. Mulderator

Mulderator

And of course, you can try a video card and a different power supply (if its not the CMOS battery).

Again--it would be helpful if you would identify you BIOS manufacturer and version.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice