1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Long beep then 3 short

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Crewesy, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crewesy

Crewesy Thread Starter

I have purchased a pc not long ago I was just about to start a game and my pc crashed I rebooted it now my monitor won't go on with the pc. It makes a long beep then 3 short ones I have bought another 8gb ram as 1 said it had failed and I moved my gpu it started up again but as soon as I go to play a game it gets back to square 1 help me please

2. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

If it is an Award BIOS, the beep code you describe indicates that the video card was not detected. If you can, take the card all the way out of the PC and use a PINK pencil eraser to clean the gold contacts where the board plugs into the PCIe slot. Don't forget to unplug the power cable for the card if there is one. Put the PC back together and try it again.

3. Crewesy

Crewesy Thread Starter

Just tried that no doesn't work I have 2 Lights that stay on one is VGA_LED other is BOOT_DEVICE_LED

4. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

What then is the make and model of the systemboard?
    Does it have onboard video?
    If it does, take the video card out, plug your monitor into the systemboard video connector, and try that.
    You may have a failed video card. What is its make and model number?

5. Crewesy

Crewesy Thread Starter

To be honest mate I've only had a computer for 3 months I know nothing about them lol what do you mean make and model number? And I'm using hdmi there's only a hdmi slot for the video card not the tower

6. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Most people call them motherboards; but, motherboards don't have any electronics on them so I use the correct term of systemboard. Anyway, its the big board that is the bottom of the PC with the slots in it to plug your video card into and, either next to the CPU chip or one of the slots for boards, there ought to be printing that says what that board is. That is what I was asking about.

7. HyperHenry

HyperHenry

First Name:
    Henry
  8. Crewesy

Crewesy Thread Starter

Asus P9x79 le

9. Crewesy

Crewesy Thread Starter

10. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

That P9x79 le doesn't have any video connector(s) so you have three choices; take it in for warranty service, beat them into sending you a new video card, or buy another video card just to nail the diagnosis. Which one do you want to do?

11. Crewesy

Crewesy Thread Starter

I gace my tower to someone that deals with computers he said it worked fine played games and everything so he wanted my monitor and hdmi cable could one of them be the case?

12. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

It could; but, what that sounds like to me is that the video card was poorly seated in the PCIe slot and/or the case is not so well made and the card doesn't like to seat properly in it. From your description, I have seen either of those problems be far more likely than a bad monitor and I have seen something as dumb sounding as a car ride fixing it.

13. Crewesy

Crewesy Thread Starter

So your saying because he picked it up it might of fixed itself? Just waiting for a message back from the guy but originally the card wasn't in properly it was fitted in but loose but we found another slot we put the video card in fitted it in there perfectly. I have the r9 390 I hope nothing is wrong with it as it's expensive!

14. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

"originally the card wasn't in properly it was fitted in but loose but we found another slot we put the video card in"
    That is exactly what fixed it and the odds are (from seeing over 150,000 busted PC's and 41 years) your monitor is just fine.
    Did he try it back in the original slot or is the case malformed enough that it won't seat properly in it?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1195891

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice