1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Long beep, two short, blank screen HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hopelessatcomps, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hopelessatcomps

hopelessatcomps Thread Starter

I'm bad at computers, so I'm not sure where to put this.

My laptop fell out of my backpack :eek: just about a foot above a carpeted floor. I thought it might be OK, but when I turn it on, I hear one longer beep and then two shorter ones. The screen remains black and never displays anything.

"Behind" this black screen I can hear the computer seeming to boot as normal. I hear the chimes when the desktop should come up, and pressing my keyboard volume shortcuts I hear the volume beeps, so the computer itself seems to work, but the screen displays nothing.

I've googled and searched, and it seems like it might be a "video problem" or "video card problem" and I've also seen references to computer memory and motherboards. But honestly, I don't know much about computer maintenance and repair, so I'm lost.

Please help me!

It is a Sony Vaio VGN-SZ680 laptop. I don't know a lot about computers, but I'm good at fixing things and following instructions. I have a copy of the SZ680 repair manual, and would really like to avoid the cost of getting it repaired elsewhere if possible. If anyone knows what needs replacement, etc. that would be awesome.

Thanks!

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Does the laptop have a VGA Port or a DVI port

if so do you think you could try plugging in a screen into it. This is a long shot but it could be the connection between the motherboard and screen that is damaged and not the connection between the motherboard and video card. My best guess is that the actual circuit board is damaged.

3. hopelessatcomps

Thanks very much for the pics. They definitely help for me. It does have a VGA port, and I connected it to a TV, but nothing appeared. I tried the Fn keyboard shortcut to switch the display from my laptop screen to output it, but no luck :(

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

It sounds like the actually video card that is built in has been damaged. There isnt much you can do with laptop video cards to be honest. How old is the laptop and is it still under warranty?

5. hopelessatcomps

Thanks very much for your help. Unfortunately, it is no longer under warranty. I got the original in fall of 2006, but I loaned it to a friend, and the screen got broken. It was under full warranty, so Sony replaced it with this one in Spring of '08.

So my best option is to replace the laptop? Or try to find someone to attempt fixing the video card?

6. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

I have a feeling that fixing it would be a very tough task as it sounds like the circuit is damaged. You could try taking it to a shop and explaining what happened. I am not sure what they can do in these shops to be honest in terms of fixing damaged laptops but it may require you getting a new one. :(

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/901355

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice