1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Long BIOS pause on SATA screen when booting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sync, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sync

sync Thread Starter

I have an XPS 410. Recently the BIOS pauses for about 30 seconds on the SATA screen when booting.

I found that if I switch SATA to ATA emulation then there is no pause but Vista won't boot.

When I look at the boot sequence in the BIOS it shows the SATA hard drive as 'not present'. It does not show that for the CD-ROM which is also SATA. I also noticed that if I put a bootable CD-ROM in the drive, it will boot even though that is only second in the boot sequence after the hard drive.

2. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Can you provide a link to a .PDF of your system manual?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you tested the drive with the drive maker's utility?

FWIW when you change the mode of an onboard type controller ie sata/ide/raid/achi, it uses a different driver and that can be why you do not get a boot.

With vista I am surprised that it did not boot. I recently did a build where vista had already been installed on an nforce4 mb [sata drive] A new intel p35 chipset board was installed along with other parts. Vista actually booted without issue; going from nforce4>p35/ich9 is really amazing since I told him it would not even boot.

4. sync

sync Thread Starter

5. sync

sync Thread Starter

Vista was pre-installed and it would have used the SATA driver. When I put it in ATA mode, then I guess Vista can't find that driver.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is probably what happened; as I posted, I am surprised it would not boot. Since I first hand saw it go from a sata drive on an nforce4 board to the same drive connected to an intel p35/ich9 chipset board.

I did not even expect it to boot. When I first started the system, I went into the bios and set boot order, checked temps, set time/date, etc. Saved settings and restarted. Well I forgot to put the vista dvd in the drive and it booted up without problems.

Of course I did recommend a clean install since that is a much better way to go however it is still running a week later with no problems at all. It did need reactivation however nothing else other than load the chipset, sound, and nic drivers after the system started up.

7. sync

sync Thread Starter

I remembered something that may be relevant. I installed XP for dual-booting. The XP install disk does not have SATA drivers. The XP install stopped with an error and a hard boot was required to recover. That is when the BIOS pause first appeared. But it went back to normal on subsequent boots.

I tried several different things to get XP installed the way I wanted. So I had a bunch of hard reboots. Each time I would get the pause which then went away. At some point though, it did not go away.

I would love to know what caused this strange behavior pf a pause that went away on the next boot.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646355

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice