Long delay on first access to network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
If anyone has started suffering from a long delay on their first access to a network (and this applies to dial-up as well as ADSL and LANs/WANs) from XP and especially since installing SP2, take a look at Task Manager. If there is a task taking most of the CPU cycles called SVCHost and Network Services, the chances are that it is trying to do update the DNS Cache and it takes a long time to fail to do it. I have solved it by setting the DNS Cache service to Manual. I haven't seen any side effects of this yet.

DaveBurnett said:
If anyone has started suffering from a long delay on their first access to a network (and this applies to dial-up as well as ADSL and LANs/WANs) from XP and especially since installing SP2, take a look at Task Manager. If there is a task taking most of the CPU cycles called SVCHost and Network Services, the chances are that it is trying to do update the DNS Cache and it takes a long time to fail to do it. I have solved it by setting the DNS Cache service to Manual. I haven't seen any side effects of this yet.
Sounds good,, how do you set the DNS Cache service

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Admin Tools/Services pops up a window with all services. Locate DNS Cache, right click and set it to manual.

Excuse my ignorance
exactly how do I set DNS Cache to manual in XP Home
Thanks
Mark

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Do you not have Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services in XP Home? I can't check as I only have XP Pro

Setting the DNS Cache worked great for about 2 days, then started hanging again. Hangs for 4 to 6 Minutes at first connection, then starts working normal. I have a feeling its spyware. I use Spybot, adaware and AOL's spyware removal tools. Almost always finds something after hanging. After cleaning, works good the first time, then hangs again. Dam Spyware. What's the best program to use that will actively scan and stop spyware while online, not just on a manual scan. Has to be something good out there. Any suggestions.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Have you rechecked the Service when it starts hanging, it may have been started, Try setting it to disable.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Have you had any problems with Disabling the Cache completly?

Thanks
Roger Schnabel

[FONT=Century Gothic]Thanks for all your help. I must have another problem with my internet connection. It's still hanging at first connection to the internet. It locks all of XP up. Nothing will open, now even task manager.It just freezes everything up for about 4 to 8 minutes. Then is just starts working again. Normal speed, like nothing happened. This always makes me thing that someone's probing. I am using ad-aware 6 SE plus, SpyBot search and destroy, AOL's Spyware program, (which is a very slow scanner, but usually finds things that the others dont.) I also have Norton anti-virus. I had to stop using zone alarm because of issues with Windows XP. service pack2. Zone alarm would hang me up. I would be greatful if anybody out there has a solution.[/FONT]

OF ALL THE THINGS IV'E LOST. I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!

R.Schnabel

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online