Long Filename

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

padutch

I had a problem a month ago with files saved from IE on the net changed the MA-DOS name of a saved pivture. If it was a jpeg it would change it to ~1.jpe. Well I later found out that It was a corrupt IE6 and after trying the repair and it not working to fix the problem I went to add/remove programs and did a go back to previous version. After that I realoaded IE 6 and have no problems now. What I have now is if I do work in Adobe or any other graffic program and the picture I save is more then 8 letters or numbers it changes the MS-DOS namd to ~1.jpg. Not jpe.
I can shorten the name and it is fine but sometimes would like to keep the name. Is there some way to disenable the long file name for DOS? I thought Win 98 did away with the long file name.
THanks in advance
DUTCH

Dutch, I'm glad to hear the original problem is resolved. But what you seem to have now is just the correct default behavior. Unless I missunderstand what you are asking, short file names must be used in DOS, there is no way around that. Long File names are fine within Windows.

padutch

Hi Rollin Rog,
Glad to see you are still here. Let me explain a little better. Ok, if I have a JPEG with the name untitled-1.jpg the MS-DOS name is changed to UNITITL~2 and then will not open in any programs such as Adobe or any other. If the name is Untitled.JPEG then the MS-Dos name is the same and will open in any of my photo programs. Now I know that in the past I have had names longer and was still able to open them with no problem. So there has to be a setting somewhere to help me out.
Thanks Again
DUTCH

Well, I still can't pin down exactly what is happening there, but if it is a registry issue, we can try to fix it by running a registry patch that will set all the default associations and entries for jpeg files in their various manifestations.

I took a look at ONE HUMANS "all in one" jpeg fix here, and it appears to combine everything jpeg related into one reg patch. I'd try downloading and running it to merge it.

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/Forum2/HTML/052114.html

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts