1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Long filenames in Win98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rioblast, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rioblast

rioblast Thread Starter

I'm reinstalling my win98 and I'm wondering if my long file names on my two hard drives will be saved even though I've deleted windows.

I usually don't format the drive I just delete (using deltree) the windows and program folder while in dos and then install windows without restarting.

It's important for me to know if my filenames will be correct after the installation is completed. I don't want everything named *~1.exe etc.

Is the file names saved in the FAT and operate regardless of what op-system I have or is it windows that keeps track of the names?

/RioBlast

2. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

[tsg=welcome] Welcome to TSG! [/tsg]

Your long filenames should remain intact...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice