1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Long ranged networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by reaper616, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reaper616

reaper616 Thread Starter

Well me and my friend now have a fileserver that sits at his house in a cupboard all working and set-up which we host UT2k4 games on, but since I don't live with my friend :p we was wondering if anyone could tell us if there is anyway I could use remote desktop to access his fileserver from my house?

Thanks in advanced.

P.S - We are both connecting through the internet using Linksys routers.

2. reaper616

reaper616 Thread Starter

*bump*

3. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

If the OS of his file server is XP pro or W2K its just as easy as enabling Remote Desktop on any PC. From his house he has to Enable remote desktop on the file server and then set the port of the remote desktop connection to the file servers IP in the router.

Then from your side you have to enter his WAN ip into your Remote desktop client.

Either that or go with Ultra VNC or something. Same principal and steps just non os specific and a few other bells and whistles.

4. jackdw

jackdw

I have the same kind of thing. I have a DIY webserver at my mates house. I have to forward 80 for the webserver, 21 for the FTP server and these for VNC and XP Remote desktop:
    5900 TCP for VNC
    5800 TCP for java VNC
    3389 for XP remote desktop.

This is only on the remote router connected to the file server. If it's just a plain modem with no internal network then there is no need to forward the ports.

FTP is also handy, I use filezilla, port 21.

5. reaper616

reaper616 Thread Starter

Thanks for your support I shall update with any problems I may have, I am at his house this weekend. So expect to hear from me :p

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice