1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

long XP startup delay

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by danvorhaus, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. danvorhaus

danvorhaus Thread Starter

I've noticed recently that when I startup in Windows XP there is often (about 75-85% of the time) a substantial delay before I am able to actually access any functionality. What happens is that XP loads the background, desktop icons, and it starts to run programs in the system tray. I can see the taskbar/quicklaunch bar but when I mouse over either the quicklaunch bar or the start menu I get an hourglass. The system then just seems to sit there, sometimes for several minutes, before the system tray finishes loading and I'm able to start running programs.

I think, though I'm not positive, that this behavior started shortly after I upgraded to SP2.

Also, if it is any use, here is what is running at startup (courtesy of Startup Inspector for Windows):

Spyware Guard
    ATIPTA (ATI Radeon Control Panel)
    DadApp (something from Dell for programmable buttons)
    AVG_CC (AVG control panel)
    Openwares Live (used for Spyware Guard live update)
    SynTPLpr
    SynTPEnh

If anybody can help me out with this I'd appreciate it a ton. Thanks very much.

Regards,
    Dan

2. kevt

kevt

I have the same problem, and it has only started since SP2. I believe its due to networking, and I think its a timeout delay. Do you see a network icon in the system tray which indicates 'Limited or no connectivity'.
    I wonder if allocating a static IP address might stop this problem?

3. bobol

bobol

Have a look at the topmost thread in this forum, guys... a sticky posted by AcaCandy regarding SP2 issues. There maybe something of interest in there to be found.

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Untick the "Notify me of limited connectivity" box in Control Panel>Network Connections>Properties>General but I'm not sure that's what's causing XP to slow down on boot-up. It's far more likely to be an overload in the number of auto starts you have in msconfig.

Paradoxically, before I downloaded SP2, I had a problem with McAfee not being able to load in the 30,000 milliseconds XP allowed it. I couldn't find a way to stretch that timescale and I had to re-enable McAfee every morning. SInce SP2, the problem has not recurred.

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

I would start by disableing these to see if start-up time improves . . then re-enable one at a time to find the culprit:

Spyware Guard
    DadApp (something from Dell for programmable buttons)
    AVG_CC (AVG control panel)
    Openwares Live (used for Spyware Guard live update)

My guess is that your spyware guard is fighting with your AVG

wrs

6. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

And simpswr's post mcde me re-read the original from which I note Danvorhaus has an ATI graphics adapter. There are numerous posts hereabouts where the ATI software has conflicted with SP2. Numerous but nowhere near as many as Norton!!!

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

Good point . . I missed that one!

wrs

8. danvorhaus

danvorhaus Thread Starter

thanks for all the various tips...i think i've finally fixed the long delay at start-up.

after tweaking the different programs i had running at start-up i finally figured out that if i just disabled AVG_CC then everything seems to work just fine. Even though in startup manager AVG_CC is disabled the AVG console still starts automatically and everything boots up quickly and without any apparent conflict.

i'm totally confused as to why this is or how it works but I'm not going to complain as long as it is working.

btw - just as a point of reference it wasn't a conflict with AVG and any of the other programs running at start-up (disabling everything but AVG still left the problem) so I think it must be some sort of issue between AVG and SP2...maybe...

thanks again for all of the help.

-Dan

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice