1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Longer Range WIFI

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jwarren4u, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jwarren4u

jwarren4u Thread Starter

I have a friend that needs to get wifi to his shop which is about 750' away with clear line of sight, is this possible? My thoughts are setting up 2 wireless routers set up like a repeater? If so which model of routers seem to have the best range? I'm also not apposed to getting him to get a high gain directional antenna somewhere on the setup if it's feasible to expect it to make the connection happen. Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you are going to configure a router as a repeater (or range extender), rather than worry about best range make sure you get a router that can be configured that way (because only a few can be).

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think you'd be far better off with a couple of directional antennas. I did a 3/4 mile link with a pair of Cantenna units and Linksys boxes. You could also consider a signal booster.

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a couple of examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

4. yzman

yzman

yeah i know linksys boxes mostly support that, but few of the rest do

5. jwarren4u

jwarren4u Thread Starter

Thanks for teh suggestions, it all seems pretty much inline with my line of thinking on making long range wifi work. Just wanted to see if I was missing anything obvious

6. jwarren4u

jwarren4u Thread Starter

7. JohnWill

Kinda expensive, but it's a similar idea. :)

8. rbrager

rbrager

I recently saw an add for a router with a 400 mW RF output.

I would do some research on high gain antennas such as Tin can antennas, corner reflectors, and maybe log periodic antennas. They are easy and cheap to make. They can boost the 100 m W output by several DB. A 3 DB gain will boost a 100 mW to 200 m W. A sheet of aluminum foil behind the router antenna mihjt give you that much.

9. JohnWill

The links I provided give you all of those options. The booster states: Adjustable Power Output Settings (100mW, 200mW, 500mW). I've used this device, it worked really well with one of the 7dB antennas. I could pick up the signal half a block from the building after I got it running. :)

10. jwarren4u

jwarren4u Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback it was all good info

11. FlowrHuntr

FlowrHuntr

I just bought a new wireless card for my desktop.
    It's supposed to work up to 1,400 feet and be faster than 802.11b or g. And it's supposed to be backward compatible to work with either.

I don't know aabout the repeater thing, but it might be worth checking out. I would check a few tech review sights before buying anything though.

Good luck.

12. jwarren4u

jwarren4u Thread Starter

Whatg was the brand on the wireless card you have with the 1400' range?

13. JohnWill

It's easy to write those kinds of numbers in the marketing literature. :D

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice