Longest Time That an Update Can Be Postphoned in Win. Home?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jack1000

This question refers to the Home Edition, which is what I have.

How long can you postpone a Windows 10 update on the Home version? Can it be longer than seven days? Now this is without changing any settings or fooling Windows 10 into thinking you have a metered connection.

Jack

Microsoft does not support manual updates on Windows 10 Home PCs. Instead, all updates are automatically downloaded to your machine and then scheduled to install when your PC is idle. There are some exceptions and workarounds to that, but for most of us updates are a mandatory affair. The one thing that Microsoft will let you do, however, is decide when your system actually restarts to install the updates.

Source: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2953010/windows/how-to-schedule-your-windows-10-updates.html

With that being said, you could disconnect your PC from the internet. ;)

Johnny b

John

With that being said, you could disconnect your PC from the internet. ;)
Not familiar with Win 10 or it's firewall, but if it's like Win 7, if no updates are the goal, does the Win10 Firewall have an 'advanced' element where just about anything can be blocked?

IMO, not a good idea, but my displeasure with faulty updates is what led me to using a distro of Linux for Internet access.

Jack1000

My question really is, based on the info above,

How long can a restart be postponed with Windows 10 Updates in the query?

Jack

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I see no good reason in delaying any Windows Update, unless one has some major files open. Then as soon as you can get all files closed, the reboot should be done.

The delay will be limited to the time that is left in the "Scheduled Active Time", BUT this must have been set up BEFORE the updates are downloaded and installed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online