Look-Up Formula?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gevans

I am trying to insert a lookup formula so that -- when I insert an ID # on sheet 1 -- it will pull in the 1st & last name of the individual from a list on sheet 2 -- I have attached an example. I thought I had it -- but no luck so far. I'm pretty new to this particular formula!

Attachments

There you go

I have given the data range a name called Names. The Vlookup refers to that.

If you have to insert any new people in the data sheet, insert a new row in the middle of the date and input the new info. This will expand the range name called Names for you and you will not need to change any fomulas later on.
When you have done that, sort on column A to make sure the data is in numerical order otherwise the Vlookup won't work

Attachments

can you click on the Thread Tools Icon at thetop of this thread and mark it solved please.

Come back if you get any errors, as it might need further error traps. However, as they say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" :)

If you add another named range called BigStr, defined as ...

=REPT("z",255)

.. then you can adjust the named range Names to ..

='Data Sheet'!$A$1:INDEX('Data Sheet'!$E:$E,MATCH(BigStr,'Data Sheet'!$E:$E))

.. and the named range will grow with your data whether you insert in the middle, top or bottom.

HTH

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online