looked- but still no luck-2nd - hd install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stan2000fxd

system info :pent111 with windows 98 se
450 mhz
393 ram
13 gb maxtor hd
trying to add maxtor 40 gb hd -model 6e040l0- with maxblast disc and floppy
just want to use it as a second drive-do not want to transfer info on old to new
have it hooked up right
primary ide old drive master
new slave
2nd ide master cdrom/dvd player
slave cdrw-burner
have tried most eveything i know
system bois - selected auto detect-just sits there says auto detecting primary slave -does nothing after well over an hour
when i use maxblast disc and floppy -says remove restart and see new drive in my computer . freezes up blank screen with flashing cursor- have to reset with new drive disconnected(power that is)
new to this please be detailed in response thanks!installed cd burner with no problem in the past!

Your motherboard probably can't handle with the 40GB, you'll need a BIOS-update for your motherboard or you'll have to use the Maxtor "Overlay" software.

Styxx

Banned
Only two suggestions is don't useAuto-Detect in the
BIOS. Do it manually putting in the cylinders, etc. But it should be found by the BIOS if it was partitioned (only one partition), partition formatted and jumpered correctly. I'd check those first before trying Manual BIOS detection.

Be sure the drive is jumpered correctly. Did you read the map right?

stan2000fxd

Originally posted by Styxx:
Only two suggestions is don't useAuto-Detect in the
BIOS. Do it manually putting in the cylinders, etc. But it should be found by the BIOS if it was partitioned (only one partition), partition formatted and jumpered correctly. I'd check those first before trying Manual BIOS detection.

Be sure the drive is jumpered correctly. Did you read the map right?

looks like i will have to upgrade to a ata 133 pci adaptor card.
jumpers are correct
system has award bois 2.05 (20540)
must be adding more gb's than the system will see?
who knows what i will run into with the adaptor card?hope it will be easier than this hard drive .let me know if this helps?thanks for the reply!

stan2000fxd

Originally posted by hw45:
Your motherboard probably can't handle with the 40GB, you'll need a BIOS-update for your motherboard or you'll have to use the Maxtor "Overlay" software.

looks like will have to upgrade to a ata 133 pci adaptor card
must be adding to much gb's for the system to see.maxtor overlay won't get it .stilll frezze after restart.
system has award bois 2.05 (20540)
thanks for your reply !let me know if this makes sense..

Max Blast should have scanned your system to see if it could handle the drive, and told you whether or not it needed the EZBIOS installed

Try running the utility on that disk to be sure you didn't just get a DOA drive (it happens)

stan2000fxd

Originally posted by Hairy:
Max Blast should have scanned your system to see if it could handle the drive, and told you whether or not it needed the EZBIOS installed

Try running the utility on that disk to be sure you didn't just get a DOA drive (it happens)
in start up bois section award bois 2.05 (20540)
i saw it in the info at start up it is installed but when finished it just freeze up!
going from 13gb and trying to add 40 for storage.
what would the reason for adding the ultra ata/133 pci adaptor card be ?sytem has primary ide and 2ndary ide and floppy
at strat up i only see new drive in ide controller section other than that is shows none as primary slave
system either freeze or stops with flashing cursor.
maybe this will help you sovle it ...thanks for the reply!

Try this....
disconnect your old drive
leave the new connected
put in the MaxBlast floppy (BIOS setup set to boot from floppy)
restart with the floppy in...
what happens now?

Try jumpering back to master if it doesn't work

The new one should be showing as primary slave, if that's how it's jumpered.

Just leave the old one disconnected for now so it doesn't get screwed up

Did it in fact install the EZBIOS?

An ULTRADMA/133-PCI-Adapter will be about $45.00.
Your possibilities are looking for a BIOS-Update, use the Overlay software or buy that PCI-IDE-Adapter. The most performance will bring you the IDE-card.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online