1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lookin for help with my CD drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by VgtPrncfllSy, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VgtPrncfllSy

VgtPrncfllSy Thread Starter

I'll give all the details that I can now, and answer questions and try stuff you guys suggest first.

We bought this computer from some rent-to-own place, and they gave it to us set up. It has a 100 gig hardrive, split into two parts, one as my C drive and another as a "Dedicated Recovery Partition" on the FAT32 system.

Before that, my CD drive worked fine. It'd burn, rip, play and pick the CD's up as being there. We ran into a problem with system speed and had to reformat using the recovery partition, because we have no disks, the store won't let us have them until we're done paying it off.

The CD Drive doesn't pick ANYTHING up anymore. DVDs, bought CDs, blank CDs, burned CDs, audio, data, video, nothing.

I went through the troubleshoot, nothing fixed it. I tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it, but that didn't work either.

Device Managers Says:

DVD/CD-Rom drives
    ---TSSTcorp CDW/DVD TS-H492A

I doubt it's any type of system infection, so I'm not posting a HijackThis log unless needed.

2. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

Have you had the cover off? Maybe the ide cable has worked loose though doubtful.
    It could well be that it's time for a new dvd/cd drive simple as that.

3. VgtPrncfllSy

Well...

We haven't entered the computer at all yet, but we plan to for installing more RAM. It's new, too new to be broken already. I'm looking for drivers, but I can't find any for this. I found noncompatible firmware...

4. VgtPrncfllSy

I beginning to think that this doesn't HAVE or TAKE or NEED a driver, which throws my entire plan to fix it out of whack. Google has only produced "Write Speed Errors" and "Other Problems"

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice