1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking Computer case to match the following specifications

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coador, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coador

coador Thread Starter

Specifications

Hard drive

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Memory

Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX

Motherboard

ASRock X58 Extreme 3 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

External DVD burner

LITE-ON External Ultra Slim DVD/CD Writer Model eNAU108-111

Help to find the proper computer case with the proper power suply for the elements above.

2. getsugatenso

getsugatenso

graphics card?

3. helpful

helpful

You will have to adjust the memory, you should purchase a tri-channel memory kit for socket 1366.

4. coador

coador Thread Starter

thank you helpful for the reply and for the input, isn't a dd3 a tri-channel memory? Tell me what do you mean and can you have a memory to suggest with that motherboard I have choosen with the 1366 socket. I don't want to buy the parts then have to return them.

5. helpful

helpful

http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/what-is-tri-channel-memory/

6. coador

coador Thread Starter

Thank you helpful for emphasizing that point. Now I can take advantage of the tri-channel capability if I get three module separated by every other slot each one with the same speed. It means I will have to buy another module of 4. Thinking of that I need to say that I believe tri-channel will be activated since there will be 4 modules of 4. Filling four slots of the six that the motherboard brings. Now I have to combine

from the information you have given me I think the combination inside the qoute above will activate the triple channel capability of "core i7"

Right?

Thank you so much helpful

7. coador

coador Thread Starter

8. DerekC

DerekC

DDR3 is the new standard, but it doesn't mean that it's triple channel. Triple channel is exactly as it sounds, (3) sticks.
    See this link for examples.
    The motherboard's memory standards that you are considering is DDR3 2000(OC)/1866(OC)/1600(OC)/1333(OC)/1066. What this means is that it's by default set for DDR3 1066. Anything faster, like the DDR3 1600 (that you are considering), and you will need to overclock to hit those speeds.

As for a case/power supply. A case is a personal choice, it's appearance and style are what you like. There are very few stock PSU's that I would trust. You are better off getting a case without a power supply and buying a decent PSU separately.

Edit - Guess I spent way too much time writting that and looking up the parts. Question has already been answered.

9. coador

coador Thread Starter

THank you Derek I appriciated.

The only question is if 500 watts is going to be enough for all this components?

Overclock, which means I won't have the advantages of 1600 without tricking the system or overclocking?

10. DerekC

DerekC

I wouldn't bother with a $20 power supply, don't buy cheap, because you get what you pay for.
    This is the one that I'm currently using and love.

11. DerekC

DerekC

Graphics Cards have certain power requirements. Without knowing what video card you are planning on using, I can't tell if 500W is enough.

12. helpful

helpful

Well you could purchase a tri-channel kit with three memory modules, such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145222

13. coador

coador Thread Starter

it seems it has great quality that power supply

14. coador

coador Thread Starter

that's some great price helpful for those tri-channel package.

15. coador

coador Thread Starter

I have been wondering what does the pc 12800 means? I know about the 1600 the speed of the memory great.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/986416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice