1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for a cleverer utility to import pictures from media cards

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by meirionwyllt, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meirionwyllt

meirionwyllt Thread Starter

I currently use windows vista's import utility to import pics off my compact flash card to my pc, but there are two things I would like it to be able to do which it doesn't, as far as I can see.

1. I use more than one media card, and I want the contents of each card to go to different parent folders. I want a program to look at the serial number of the card (or any data that's unique to the card) and remember where I have previously stated I want those pics to be saved to. So that when I put in another card, it will copy the pics to my pre-defined location, and not to the same folder as the previous card.

2. Upon import, I want the program to group the pics in folders based on the date the picture was taken, not the date of the importing. Also, during this importing process, when it moves to the next folder (i.e. whenanother day's photos are beginning import) that I can add a descripton, that will be appended to the folder name after the "date taken".

Does such a program exist?

thanks

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

A program like Picasa will let you name your folders and location to put them with the pics inside and, it keeps changing with updates, but I think you can still specify just the pics you want to be imported so you could repeat that process for each "days" photos from the card.

As far as identifying each media card individually or the "days" photos being deterministic as to location and number to import of and by themselves...I haven't seen anything even close to being that sophisticated. It might exist somewhere but its probably not free.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Just open the card in "My Computer" .. browse it .. and CUT or COPY n PASTE the pictures where you want.
    I alway open the destination folder (or create it) first .. and drag them to where I want.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!