1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for a clipboard manager

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by sync, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sync

sync Thread Starter

I have a very tedious project of copy all the pages from a web site into many fields and records in a database. I'm hoping a clipboard manager will help.

I have Arsclip but I don't think it is suitable for this use. I used to use Clipmate and it has a feature where it will paste items in sequence. I'm hoping for a program that can do that without all the bloat that Clipmate has.

2. stantley

stantley

You could probably automate most of the process by writing an AutoHotkey script.

3. sync

sync Thread Starter

I have used AutoHotkey a bit. Does it have buffers to save data or are you suggesting to use it in conjuction with a clipboard manager?

Every page I'm copying has to be split into 8 fields.

4. stantley

stantley

It might be easier to use the clipboard capabilities of AutoHotkey instead of a separate clipboard manager. You could highlight some text, send a Ctrl-C and then that text would be in the variable %clipboard%. Then you could do:

FileAppend, %clipboard%`n, C:\test.txt

which would put that text (and a CRLF) into a text file. You could read that file into the database, it depends on how you want to get this data into the database.

Another thing you could do is activate the browser window, do a Ctrl-A and a Ctrl-C and the contents of the whole page would be in %clipboard%. Then use a parsing loop to do the split into 8 fields.

http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/commands/LoopParse.htm

5. sync

sync Thread Starter

I love your idea of having Autokey store the data in a text file. That will be a big time saver.

The content on the web pages is not consistent enough to use parsing.

Thanks.

6. stantley

stantley

AutoHotkey has a lot of string functions that you might be able to use. You could search for a keyword or a certain pattern of characters.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!