1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for a FireWire Hard Drive.... question...??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by theMusicMan, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theMusicMan

theMusicMan Thread Starter

I am on the lookout for a Firewire drive, say around 80GB as I only have a small internal drive in my laptop. I have a quick question...

Do they all come with a 'through' firewire slot...? ie: can I connect further firewire devices to it piggy-backed on this...???

2. Dan O

Dan O

Some laptop do and some don't have Firewire. What make and model laptop do you have?

You can find out yourself but doing an Internet search and entering the make, model, and the key word: specs

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've seen the small 2.5" Firewire externals with only one connection. OTOH, I have three of the 3.5" USB/Firewire external drives from two different makers, and all have the dual Firewire connections for daisy-chaining additional devices.

4. theMusicMan

theMusicMan Thread Starter

I do have a Firewire port on the Laptop, but what I am wondering is if I connect an external Firewire drive to this port, do the the external drives themselves come with a Firewire port on the rear of them so I can connect a further firewire device to that as a 'piggy-backed' device. This is one of the advantages of firrewire and USB i.e. you can daisy chain devices...

i.e. Laptop firewire > External Drive > rear of external drive firewire port > iPod et al....

5. Dan O

Dan O

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I would swear that I just answered the question! :rolleyes: Yes, most of the 3.5" models will have two Firewire connections.

Dan O, did you click on the Buy it Now link? It comes up with a message that says they're no longer available from them. :D

7. Dan O

Dan O

John,

No, I did not try to buy it. Thanks for the heads up and all your great advise you share, you're a good person.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice