1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for a good Drive Imager

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by kame_sanjo, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kame_sanjo

kame_sanjo Thread Starter

I am looking around for a good backup / restore utility. I am going to be purchasing windows Vista and if all doesnt go well id like to have an image of my current install. What is a good program for this? Ive seen things like Norton Ghost and rrtools blah blah. What are some good names out there in the data backup business. :)

2. Kitch

Kitch

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Yeah, I have to give a thumbs up toe Acronis TI, but alot of my friends have been swearing by Drive Image XML lately. I have not gotten around to testing it out yet.

http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Drive Image XML is a bit more trouble to configure, but it sounds interesting. :) The only downside for a novice is the complexity of having to "roll your own" recovery boot CD. It's not that difficult, but think about the issues we deal with every day here. :D

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I agree. On a side note, I hadn't really looked much at my email thru December and Acronis sent me a link to download Version 10 Home edition. Have you tried it yet.

6. JohnWill

Yep, got it installed on my Vista machine. :)

7. kame_sanjo

kame_sanjo Thread Starter

how is vista anyway? is it as good as they say so far? im buildin a new machine for vista and 'next-gen' gaming

8. JohnWill

It works pretty good now that I've replaced the ATI video card with a nVidia one. The ATI drivers kept blanking the screen and refusing to light it up again. :rolleyes: I tried several versions, and finally swapped out the card, works fine now. :)

9. cuttlefish

cuttlefish

First Name:
    Ian
  10. JohnWill

Nero for imaging software?

11. firestormer

firestormer

I too am looking into doing a completer backup before installing vista.

If something did go wrong and i did have an image from before how would i go about restoreing that image to the HD? (Particulary with Drive Image XML as its free).

Do you need to create a boot disk?

12. frenat

frenat

I've been using BootIt NG for a few years with no complaints. It is a drive imager, partition manager, and boot manager all in one and only costs $35
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html
    It is not the most user friendly program out there but it works well.

13. Moby

Moby

Acronis TI is now a complete backup programme. User friendly. Creates complete images for total restore as well as normal types of backup. The Acronis CD itself is bootable to help you get out of trouble or you can create a bootable CD from within the programme if you buy and download from online. Can also create a 'secure' drive on your hard drive which can be accessed on bootup, before windows. Meaning if windows doesn't boot it doesn't matter as your hard drive will still boot to to this secure drive from where you can restore your system from your created images. Just saves using a CD if you're lazy. ;)
    It basically has all the options covered.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535859

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice