Looking for a good Drive Imager

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kame_sanjo

I am looking around for a good backup / restore utility. I am going to be purchasing windows Vista and if all doesnt go well id like to have an image of my current install. What is a good program for this? Ive seen things like Norton Ghost and rrtools blah blah. What are some good names out there in the data backup business. :)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Drive Image XML is a bit more trouble to configure, but it sounds interesting. :) The only downside for a novice is the complexity of having to "roll your own" recovery boot CD. It's not that difficult, but think about the issues we deal with every day here. :D

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
JohnWill said:
Drive Image XML is a bit more trouble to configure, but it sounds interesting. :) The only downside for a novice is the complexity of having to "roll your own" recovery boot CD. It's not that difficult, but think about the issues we deal with every day here. :D
I agree. On a side note, I hadn't really looked much at my email thru December and Acronis sent me a link to download Version 10 Home edition. Have you tried it yet.

kame_sanjo

how is vista anyway? is it as good as they say so far? im buildin a new machine for vista and 'next-gen' gaming

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It works pretty good now that I've replaced the ATI video card with a nVidia one. The ATI drivers kept blanking the screen and refusing to light it up again. :rolleyes: I tried several versions, and finally swapped out the card, works fine now. :)

I too am looking into doing a completer backup before installing vista.

If something did go wrong and i did have an image from before how would i go about restoreing that image to the HD? (Particulary with Drive Image XML as its free).

Do you need to create a boot disk?

Acronis TI is now a complete backup programme. User friendly. Creates complete images for total restore as well as normal types of backup. The Acronis CD itself is bootable to help you get out of trouble or you can create a bootable CD from within the programme if you buy and download from online. Can also create a 'secure' drive on your hard drive which can be accessed on bootup, before windows. Meaning if windows doesn't boot it doesn't matter as your hard drive will still boot to to this secure drive from where you can restore your system from your created images. Just saves using a CD if you're lazy. ;)
It basically has all the options covered.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts