1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

looking for a good mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kame_sanjo, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kame_sanjo

kame_sanjo Thread Starter

im upgradin my system near the end of the month to get my vista on... i cant seem to find a nice AM2 motherboard. right now on the list is evga AM2 mobo and that is nice, but ive never gotten an eVGA motherboard. seems like hit and miss with AM2 motherboards, some work great but have rare serious memory / post issues.

another thing, how do you think a single xfx geforce 8800gtx fares against a pair of 7800gtx's?

2. Compiler

Compiler

I fail to see any upgrade between what you currently HAVE and what you're looking to get.

You have a fx55 CPU, it can be OCed - its fairly high-end for an AMD, even thou its a single-core CPU. A x2 4600/4800 is a bit faster for games, but they are not unlocked like the FX chip... for Multitasking, the x2s are faster...

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=476&model2=483&chart=167

In the real world, AM2 is NO faster than 939... Either buy a $220 CPU (x2 4600) or wait until AMD's quad Core comes out in about 4 months. Then theres socket AM2+ (supports 1000+ Mhz DDR2) - so at this time, you will be SIDE-GRADING.

Theres lots of AM2 boards to choose from, MSI, ASUS, gigabyte... From $65~220.

But I'd say sell your GF7800GTXs for $220 while you can and replace with a single 8800gts ($400) or 8800GTX ($570)

3. kame_sanjo

yea im lookin for high-end gaming. so for now just overclock my fx and replace the cards first? maybe i was buying too much into the whole "vista upgrade" lol, i like gettin everything new =P

i liked the am2 because of the ddr2, and the vista compatibility... im not much for multitasking, my fx can switch between things pretty well, i just wanted to get some beef for like spore and halo 2.

another thing is why people have two sides to X2's gaming ability? some say X2 isnt for gaming but then people recommend it for some gaming... i dont get it!

4. Compiler

Compiler

Huh? DDR2 does NOTHING for current AMD64 CPUs. Vista doesn't care if you have DDR2 or not. It'll install on a 800Mhz if you want (M$ calls this "A modern processor" - uh, 800Mhz was modern 7 years ago!) and 512mb RAM and any DX9 card (ATI9500+ / GF5x000+)

Of course it would run like dead turtle on such a system.

Vista PREM requirements: 1Ghz / 1GB RAM / DX9 card again (128mb) - wow, what a diference.

- I wouldn't be getting vista anytime soon - it has yet to prove its value. The only thing of intrests in vista for me is dx10, but otherwise - vista is not really bringing anything new other than more hardware requirements to run. oh, and new M$ games that require vista... halo2, not exactly a heart-thumping game. UT07, Crysis and even HL2 have far better graphics and game play.

- er, what idiots are saying "x2 isn't for gaming"? Is "X2" supposed to be AMD64 X2 xx00 (3800~5600)? If so, they're just intel-fan boys. These are the guy's who'd blow $1000 on an Intel Extreme (so they can say "I blew $1000") when games would run just as on a $250 AMD64 CPU (such as the AMD64-3200). Refer to below.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=488&model2=452&chart=167

And yes, some of the CORE2 is the fastest CPU out there (but it doesn't make the P4-EE or other Pentiums any faster) - especailly if there is overclocking involved. But at stock speed, lets see what Quake4 looks like (Fairly modern game):

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=433&model2=466&chart=166

The 2 CPUs are about the same $250 price. Both are getting 150+ fps. Core2 is 9fps faster (less than 5% difference)

And FX62 is expensive @ $550 - but that would be a bit cheaper than a C2D 6400 ($200 + $250 - 2GB RAM + $150 for an SLI mobo) = $600... see why NEW high end systems are Core2 system for the gamers, because the $200 CPU can OC much faster than AMD.

But for the MAJORITY of people, AMD64 X2 4x000 CPUs will more than get the job done, and on pre-built systems that DON'T allow overclocking - AMD64s are Not being killed by C2D in performance.

A 8800GTX on your current board will give you more kick than going to AM2 and keeping your 7800s. OC your CPU - and wait until AMD Quad comes out.

I am able to play Quake4 just FINE on: AMD64-3000 + GeForce 7600GT (single) in 1280x1024 max details. Of course there are other NEW games that will hurt.

5. kame_sanjo

haha i know, that was a dumb statement i made... it seems like i love to spend the most money on stuff i probably dont need.

well i oc'ed the cpu to about 2.78, gonna do 2.8x later on but right now im just waitin for my next check to get my vcard =P

as it stands im just gonna get an aftermarket cooler (for processor) and new vcard. i didnt really think the whole vista thing through but i suppose spore and the like would run just fine on my xp system, ill wait on that one =) thanks for the help

another thing, how the heck does the X2 smoke the fx55 in like quake IV when FX is suppose to be "tailored for gaming" does it make use of the dual cores when running single threaded apps?

6. Compiler

Compiler

The newer X2 runs as the Mhz to hit the performance and with dual cores, it well - adds another CPU to work with. The FX is simply the BEST at that time.... ;) Hence, faster and dual core fx chips come out. Look at the fx7 series - they are quite cheap compared to fx6 - but still under core2s.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536797

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice