1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for a new gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StevenMal, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StevenMal

StevenMal Thread Starter

I'm looking for a new gaming laptop

- Unfortunately due to my current living situation it MUST be a laptop

- Preferably 18" screen with 1920x1080 resolution, or 17" screen

- I know I don't need it for gaming but I'd still prefer an i7

- Minimum of 4GB RAM, preferably 8GB RAM but no more than 16GB

- Weight is not an issue

- SSD not required, but certainly welcome

- Looking to play games on Max/High settings with 60fps with a GTX 980M or GTX 980M SLI

-Must have a optical drive

-Must have a built in mic

-Webcam optional

-Battery life is irrelevant because I will be plugged in whenever in use.

$3000 budget

I've done a little bit of research and I know I DON'T want an Alienware, ASUS, Dell, Acer or Lenovo. I've been considering a $3000 configuration of a Sager laptop from xoticpc.com but I'm open to recommendations (hence this thread). If anyone has any recommendations for a $3000 configuration of a gaming laptop that exactly or closely fits these requirements I'd appreciate them.

Again, unfortunately it MUST be a laptop.

2. trogdo

trogdo

That's a lot of brands to dismiss out of hand. There's the MSI GT72, or you could look at custom builds.

3. jamesx121

jamesx121

Steven:::
    check this out:::

http://www.falcon-nw.com/laptops/drx

Falcon Northwest is what Alien-Ware was before Alien-Ware sold out to Dell.
    their DRX line of Laptops are considered desktop replacements---
    you quoted you didn't have to pack it around even though you get a great carry bag from
    Falcon--

here is their banner
    ""DRX: The Fastest Laptop on Earth.

Two GeForce 900-series graphics cards. Four storage drives. 4th-Gen Extreme Edition CPU. In a laptop?!

this page will let you begin to spec exactly what options you want---
    I only mentioned Falcon because you posted $$3000.00

it might actually cost you more than $3000.00 after you spec all the options you want after you see what they offer--
    but you can all ways trim it down to the $3000.00 level---
    you will get a much better built system from Falcon than somebody likeAlienware, ASUS, Dell, Acer or Lenovo
    Falcon only uses top of the line parts---
    James

4. sky11

sky11

I've had a couple MSI gaming laptops and been really happy with them. For $3k you should have no problem finding one with everything you want and more. It's the only brand of laptop I've ever owned though so not particularly informed advice. =\

5. StevenMal

StevenMal Thread Starter

I used to have an Alienware M18x. I loved it but I soon found out that Alienware is an overpriced rip-off brand...even though my own personal experience with my M18x was very good. I found out that I could've have gotten better laptops for cheaper. Dell doesn't offer any laptops I want currently and Dell has notoriously AWFUL customer service; the Dell Facebook is literally nothing but complaints about the customer service.

I'm not tremendously interested in Acer's or Lenovo's gaming laptops, especially since I want to maximize the $3000 budget I've been alloted but I'll certainly consider any recommendation. The Acer VN7-791G-792A and the Lenovo Y series are okay but I think I can do better. As I've heard plenty of excellent reviews I may consider the ASUS G751JY-DH71 but I'm not happy about the laptop being difficult to take apart or the battery being impossible to remove. I also don't like the placement of the eject button for the optical drive.

6. trogdo

trogdo

Seems like you did your homework, Steven. I have long been a buyer of Asus hardware, haven't been disappointed yet. If you buy new, you shouldn't have to worry about servicing it yourself unless you intend to keep it for a long time. If you want to see something that is hard to take apart, try a later Macbook, if I get asked to have a look at one, I just recommend someone else.

Jeffery, are you a shill for a major retailer and/or ISP? Mac doesn't qualify as a gaming machine, and so far as we know, the OP doesn't code or do graphics nor does he have an issue with his internet connection.

7. StevenMal

StevenMal Thread Starter

Right now I'm considering a $3000 configuration of a Sager model, probably the NP8278 or the NP9377, or the MSI GT80 Titan. I'm also considering the ASUS G751JY. I just want to make sure I can maximize my specs for the budget I've got. From what plenty of people have said is that Alienware is a trendy, over-priced rip off brand and that Dell has AWFUL customer service, is over priced. Dell also does not offer any laptops that appeal to me. I'm also not a huge fan of the high end Acer or Lenovo gaming laptops.

8. Dougx789

Dougx789

GIGABYTE has a gaming series

Have a look at the Gigabyte P37X

I have no experience of this laptop and haven't read through the review etc. But there a good known brand and specs match the criteria you listed above.

9. StevenMal

StevenMal Thread Starter

I've been getting a lot of ASUS recommendations, specifically for the ASUS G751JY. I'm still interested in the MSI Titan but the position of the keyboard is really off-putting, I don't want to deal with all the bloatware (especially since I still have to learn how to install an OS yet) and I've heard about some bad experiences with MSI. I don't like how the ASUS laptop is difficult to take apart, how its impossible to remove the battery and where the optical drive eject button is. I still don't know as much as I would like to about Sager so I might just pick between the MSI Titan and ASUS G751JY. I plan to watch some Youtube reviews and read some more reviews before I make my decision but I think it's come down to those three so far. The Gigabyte P37X is an excellent recommendation but I don't like how hot the laptop can get because it is so thin and light weight. I'm also don't like how the laptop caps framerates when the fan isn't at full speed. It's also very noisy but the noise and heat are surely to be expected in a gaming laptop, especially one so thin.

10. StevenMal

StevenMal Thread Starter

After some more research I'm probably going to end up choosing the Sager NP9377 but I'm worried about a few things.

I heard from another thread that the i7 4710HQ is "such a limiting factor, its not even funny'" but someone else on another forum said that none of the quad-core i7 processors would bottleneck 980m SLI. That's why I posted this thread. I don't know how to figure out what processors won't bottleneck a GPU setup, specifically which i7 processor won't bottleneck a 980M SLI setup. One person said the 4710HQ would be limiting and someone else said none of the i7s would bottleneck 980M SLI.

I'm also worried about the display. The display is supposed to be an IPS display at 60Hz I think and TN displays are supposed to be better because they're faster. Is it really a huge difference when gaming or is it something I can deal with?

11. StevenMal

StevenMal Thread Starter

So far the NP9377 is definitely the best value for my budget, especially when compared to Alienware and MSI. I'm just not totally excited about the 60Hz TN display. Even though I've heard good things about it I noticed a thread of people replacing the 60Hz display for a 120Hz display. If I could get a display similar to my old Alienware M18x R2 I would definitely consider it but I have no idea if that's possible. The keyboard layout and screen are the only things I'm not completely happy about. I'm not a fan of the color inaccuracies in TN displays and I heard a 60Hz display for 980m SLI isn't sufficient to output 60fps. Is that true?

12. StevenMal

StevenMal Thread Starter

So what will a >60fps frame rate look like with a 60hz display? Does the frame rate cap at 60 fps or will it distort somehow?

I noticed this thread which has me worried about the 60hz display.

NP9377-S 120hz Screen Replacement | NotebookReview

If they are willing to do a price match I'm considering the Eurocom X8 because they have a 120hz display option however the SSD options are Micron/Crucial M500 and the Samsung 840 EVO. I have heard bad things about the 840 EVO in the thread below so if I decide on the Eurocom X8 I'll probably choose the 480GB Micron/Crucial M500 instead of the 500GB SSD 840 EVO.

Samsung 840 EVO read speed drops on old-written data in the drive

The Sager from xoticpc.com offers the 850 EVO and the Micron M600 SSDs instead. Can anyone give me a recommendation on which one to choose? I'm considering either the 250/256GB or 500/512GB SSD but I don't know whether to choose the Micron M600 or the 850 EVO or the Micron M500/840 EVO.

TLDR: Sager NP9377 has a 60hz display; Eurocom X8 has a 120hz display option. Sager NP9377 has Micron M600 or Samsung 850 EVO options; Eurocom X8 has Micron 500 or Samsung 840 EVO options. Which do you recommend?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice