1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for a new laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lilhomie10, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lilhomie10

lilhomie10 Thread Starter

Hey guys im looking for a decent laptop to last me a while, i need to know what is the best processor? i heard centrino was good, how much ram and HDD should i have? im not spending a fortune but im not buying a budget one either.. can anyone help me?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

"Centrino" is not a CPU per se, its a terminology used for a chipset and CPU type combination.

I think the combination still currently consists of a Pentium M processor, the Mobile Intel 915 Express chipset (or the Intel 855 chipset) family, an Intel Wireless network connection, but it may have since updated.

My advice is to stick with the Mobile version of a CPU and do not get conned with a "desktop" type fast CPU, as they tend to overheat (or speed step down to avoid the heat).

The Centrino chipset would be my choice as well.

3. lilhomie10

ok well i was thinking around the lines of 80GB HDD 512MB ram and how fast should the CPU be because i want it to be fast but last long on battery life, and a 128MB Gfx card will do...

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Make a choice.

Fast CPU
    Long Battery Life.

You can have one or the other.

Be aware that graphics are non upgradeable in the main (apart from RAM and HDD), and laptops are not really into gaming.

5. lilhomie10

ok well i didnt mean gfx card but i have seen laptops to have 128MB gfx and thats all i meant. im not gonna be using it as a high demand gaming system but i want to be able to play some light games. well does a 3ghz give short batterylife? because around there is ok isnt it?

6. microwally

microwally

I am typing on an HP ZD7140 laptop right now. It has a P4 3.0 (no speed stepping here, just full bore always), 1gb DDR ram, geforce FX5200, 17 inch wide screen display, and it will play the crap out of most games...However, my lap is on fire, both fans are spinning loudly, it weighs almost 10 pounds, and lasts about an hour on a charge.
    The wife on the other hand totes her little Dell 2200 around the house and car all day on a charge, it's light, runs cool, and the fan never turns on, but the best she can do is play Bejeweled on it. (Thats all she'll play anyway, my games scare her, LOL)

Kiwi hit the nail on the head, it's one way or the other. :)

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I run a 2.2 GHz Mobile processor in my laptop, and thats about the top end of where I want to have it for speed vs temperature. Even at that speed the battery is about 1.5 hours average, with speed stepping enabled.

The weight is another factor, mine is just too heavy at 3.5 kGs (8 pounds) as well, tote that around the country and its a killer, by the time you include required paperwork for each client.

8. lilhomie10

I found this...

Brand: Toshiba
    Processor Speed: 1.7 GHz
    Chip Type: Intel Centrino
    Hard Drive Capacity: 60 GB
    Memory (RAM): 1 GB
    Screen Size: 15 inches
    Primary Drive: DVD+/-RW
    Features: 10/100 LAN Card, Carrying Case, Modem, Operating System, USB, Wireless Network Card

i think it sound perfect for what i need... any thoughts?

9. lilhomie10

and i got told today in a retail store, intel centrino processors, you double the Ghz and take a little bit off your answer and it tells you roughly the equivalent to a P4

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

That might be a slight exaggeration, but it may also be quite close for some or many types of programs. The effectiveness of the larger cache will benefit some programs more than others, but that speed is around the "sweet spot" I believe, at the moment.

11. lilhomie10

ok well this laptop is advertised

400 MHz FSB

2MB L2 CACHE

im kinda new to laptop figures but i got an 800mhz fsb on my desktop wats the go with that and how does this laptop sound for both speed and battery life?

12. p4mastergeek

p4mastergeek Banned

yea i dont think a centrino would double your ghz speed. Anyone in a store will tell you anything to get a sale. they get paid commission on sales remember that. As far as battery power goes they all will run out quick isnt like they sell a laptop that you can walk around on for 3 days straight on battery power dosent happen. The toshiba one your looking at dosent seem that bad. yes on chip cache makes a difference the bigger the cache the faster it will open programs you use more often. Its the cache memory on the chip. Like the one guy said the centrino is probably setup different then a p4 the way its built and processes things. As for the FSB thats the speed from the memory to the CPU. faster the front side bus faster its accessing your memory. Its really all what you want when you go purchase it. Good luck on your buy hope it works out.

13. lilhomie10

Thankyou, i will keep you posted... how much do you reckon it is worth?

14. p4mastergeek

p4mastergeek Banned

how much do i think what is worth? i must have missed something sorry. just let me know what your talking about ill let you know.

15. lilhomie10

The laptop i just told you about? ^^ do you want more specs? if so what do u need to see?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437589

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice