Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking for a new processor

759 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  AJScott 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have what was once a decent gaming machine but now I'm just not seeing the greatest performance. I'm gonna get a new GPU but I'm just wondering what processor I should, mainly because I'm not too knowledgable about chipsets. I'm currently running an i7-860, it's a quad core @ 2.8Ghz. Preferably, I don't want to have to change my motherboard I'm happy to stay within the i5/i7 series.

Would this be a good upgrade if I want to be able to run games well?
Intel i5 2500k Sandybridge - People say it's pretty stable so I'd overclock it, but at 3.3Ghz not sure if I'd have to right away.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Sandy...8NX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319807387&sr=8-1

Are these processors good value for money, because to me it sounds a little cheap?

Any opinions would appreciated, plus any suggestions for other better processors. Budget isn't too much of a problem, I can just save up.

#3 ·
the i5 2500k is a decent processor very fast though but seeing as you have one of the older i7 chipsets on 1156 socket mobo. The problem now is that your mobo you currently have will not be compatible with the newer chipsets due to having a different pin socket structure. Forcing you to buy a newer mobo 1155 socket for sandy bridge cpu's.

It's up to you what you want to do, but if i was in your shoes i would buy the new mobo and cpu. Then try to sell the old rig. Or keep the hdd, ram, gpu and optical drives and then sell the cpu and mobo etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.