1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

looking for a new soundcard...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JAYNO20, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JAYNO20

JAYNO20 Thread Starter

I want to be able to play the sounds of my computer thru my Dolby receiver. it HAS to be thru digital optical, and i'd like for the output to actually be true 5.1/7.1. What cards are my options to make this a reality? i dont want to spend a fortune either.

2. JAYNO20

JAYNO20 Thread Starter

anyone have any ideas?

3. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

I 'm not like a sound guy, but I think Creative X-fi ones should be yours.

4. JAYNO20

JAYNO20 Thread Starter

5. parasolution

parasolution

I just bought a BGears Enspirer, it's absolutely incredible. It has toslink output and input, not many soundcards have digital inputs. It also has Dolby Digital Live, which is a cool feature.

I purchased mine for an HTPC that I have connected to my Sony ES receiver. It sounds great. I didn't want a soundblaster card for my HTPC, it was either the BGears or a Sondigo Inferno. Both have been rated high for HTPC use.

6. JAYNO20

JAYNO20 Thread Starter

whats HTPC mean? and does the BGears card actually output in full dolby surround?

7. parasolution

parasolution

HTPC: Home Theater Personal Computer

I use an HTPC to handle DVD playback, photos and music through my Home Theater system.

Click here for BGears: http://www.bgears.com/b-enspire.html

The BGears optical output uses toslink cables, while Sondigo uses a digital coax. So whatever your receiver uses, you need to buy the right soundcard. Turtle Beach makes the Montego soundcard that has digital outputs and its cheaper ($50-60, whereas BGears and Sondigo are around $90-100).

Since your using a digital connection and your receiver can handle Dolby/DTS, your soundcard is simply passing the signal to the receiver and the receiver will process the Dolby 5.1/7.1 signal, not the soundcard. That's how I understand it.

8. JAYNO20

JAYNO20 Thread Starter

is that turtle beach card as good as the BGears? I've seen the turtle beach card on newegg, but i wasnt sure if it was good. I just want to make sure whatever card i get will have a digital optical output and also output in 5.1/7.1 because thats obviously the way my surround sound receiver sounds the best.

9. parasolution

parasolution

The Bgears card has the CMedia Oxygen chip that people like. The turtle beach card had mixed reviews, but if you're receiver is handling the dolby decoding, then you shouldn't have an issue, that is how I understand it. Thus, as long as your sound card has digital outputs, the sound card doesn't need all the bells and whistles, as the receiver will be processing the dolby signal, not the card.

But Dolby Digital Live is another story, IIRC, DDL on the sound card will process a standard signal for use in a multi-channel environment.

I haven't played around with my sound card enough, thus I'm not sure of all the features/benefits, but I know it sounds really good.

10. dannyn

dannyn

11. gomes

gomes

You're sick. Go with a SoundBlaster card, I GUARENTEE you it will not disappoint you. The Turtle Beach sound cards are okay too. If you plan on doing audiophile things, such as producing music and what not on your computer, look at a brand called M Audio. Otherwise, Creative makes the best soundcards in my opinion. The only thing people criticize is their customer support.

12. dannyn

dannyn

which most likely isnt need..other than drivers..because they make quality products.

13. JAYNO20

JAYNO20 Thread Starter

14. dannyn

dannyn

15. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 Banned

The fact that the last driver update for the Audigy2 ZS for Windows Vista was from March of 2007 I do not agree with "quality". There is no need to stick with Creative Labs sound cards now that EAX has been made moot by OpenAL. Future games aren't even going to use EAX at all. Call of Duty 4 is a prime example.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647813

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice