Looking for a program that permanently deletes files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wicked.ludicrous

I am just looking for a light, fast, and well-known program that can delete files permanently. Thanks!

If you happen to have Spybot Search and Destroy installed it has a secure shredder built in under tools. Or either of the listed above work great.

Re_Gret

Banned
There's this other thing called Windows. If you have that, you can just select the file, hold in shift then press delete on your keyboard.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
There's this other thing called Windows. If you have that, you can just select the file, hold in shift then press delete on your keyboard.
You may want to read up a bit about how easy it is to recover a file that is only deleted with the normal Windows way. Too permanently and securely delete a file you need 3rd party software. PERIOD!

wicked.ludicrous

yeah, there's a reason why i'm asking this question here... anyways, i guess i'll go with eraser. thanks for the input!

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Alright, so I got Eraser, but what's the difference between Erase and Erase Secure Remove?
Do you mean Eraser Secure Move? Which moves a file and erases the location it was originally in. Eraser just securely deletes a file.
Its all in the help file!!

I also like East-Tec Eraser, courtesy of Computer Active Magazine, but I don't think it's otherwise free to download and use. I used it on my old laptop and was quite impressed with the performance.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online