1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for a reasonable place to buy a processor.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sellcars, Feb 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sellcars

sellcars Thread Starter

Hello Everyone, I have a compaq 5wv-280 machine that has an AMD Athlon 900mhz processor in it. I'am able to go as high as a 1.4gig athlon thunderbird processor. My machine has 200mhz (FSB) I see that this processor is pretty expensive yet. Can anyone tell me where i can save a few dollars on one of these? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank You, E J FITZ

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Can your motherboard support 266 FSB?

The 200 FSB version of the Athlon 1.4 is pretty expensive since it's so rare.

Might also want to check with Compaq to see if it can support the XP processors as well. Perhaps with a BIOS upgrade.

Checking www.pricewatch.com :
    Athlon 1.4Ghz 266 FSB is $72

Athlon XP2000 is $70

3. slipe

slipe

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago with my P3. The highest I could go was a 600Mhz P3 and I couldn’t use a Coppermine. They had stopped making the non-Coppermine. I got one for about $80 but within a couple of months it was up to $140, with the 600 Coppermine which was a better processor selling for less than $70. They went even a little higher before the supply completely dried up.

I’m guessing you are in the same situation. I would also guess that there is a 200Mhz board limitation that is common for the price to be that far out of line. There are people in your same situation and the demand is there. I don’t think they will go down unless an unexpected supply shows up. The thing costs as much as a XP 2400+ and will likely go higher if anything.

I would recommend getting a MB processor combo for the same price. You can get this board with a 1800+ for $138: http://www.asus.com.tw/mb/socketa/a7m266/overview.htm Here: http://www.partspc.com/store/mbcomboxp1800.htm#

4. sellcars

sellcars Thread Starter

Hello,
    Of course my computer will only take 200mhz FSB processor. This thing kill's me. It's been a good computer of course ive upgraded everything now except the processor and video card.
    This 1.4 gig processor is expensive, Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks again,
    Ed Fitz

5. torgo

torgo

go here to get a decent motherboard for $39.00

TCWO

go here to get a processor for it for $50.00 (XP1700)

Newegg

or just get a 1.1GHZ Athlon 200MHZ FSB for $35.00 here:

Newegg

6. slipe

slipe

Not sure what kind of help you are looking for. I’ll get you one for $50 if you’ll pick up a P4 3.06 for me for $250.

You might try E-Bay.

7. torgo

torgo

looked on Ebay! for you and prices are just stupid($100 and up)

I stand by my earlier recomendations or even something like this:

tigerdirect.com

8. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Here's another option:

1.3Ghz Duron $36 (200 FSB)

Otherwise, I agree with torgo. Save your money and get a decent motherboard/cpu combo.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/120037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice