1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for a trick to network two printers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by qpqpzmzm, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

After many attempts I returned my switch and gave up on trying to network my two printers. I tried and tried and returned a switch for another in doing so only to finally have a tech tell me that my printer was seizing the switch at boot up and not releasing it and therefore NO Switch or No method could be used to run teh two printers off of one computer.

The one printer is an old Canon Mutlipass 800 (combo printer/fax/scanner) which I use almost exclusively for the 'fax to computer' feature and then a simple Hp colour bubble jet printer.

Is there any trick that can be used to run these off one computer or will I forever be doomed to plugging them in and out of the back of the computer.

Thx.

2. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,
    If you have USB ports on the computer. then you could look at a USB to parallel adapter.

I have a laser printer on LPT 1 the parallel port. My parallel port HP Deskjet 610c runs very happily (even as a networked printer across my home network) from one of these adapters which cost me under £20 UK.

Very widely available these days

This is another UK source.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=040422195412572&moduleno=34448&Products=1

hth

Ceri

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If the USB can't work because it is a parallel only printer, just get another LPT port to plug into a slot.

4. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

My desk top doesn't seem to have the USB port option.

Anyway my problem would be the opposite as my printer has a Parellel connection so I would need a 'parellel to USB' adapter.

thx

5. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

If I am reading you right are you suggesting getting another parellel port connection added to the back of the computer?

I don't mind doing it if it is not too expensive?? And I assume any tech shop would do the install for me?? I could have them remove the game control port, as I do not use it, and put in a parellel one right??? Are you sure that I will be able to have the computer switch between the two when printing on either and the Canon will not simply over ride or basically disable the other port (or at least the access to it)?

Thx...this does sound like the solution I was looking for. Looking forward to your response.

6. Rockn

Rockn

7. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

That is basically another computer..right? at full cost... to run the second printer?

Our office goes runs on a network Server hooked up to two computers but I was hoping to avoid that expense and space requirement at home.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

They are typically a box that has two parallel ports and a ethernet port which needs to get an IP address assigned. A bit more to configure and cost more that a parallel port. But it also gives you the ability to put the printers anywhere. The main issue with printing directly to one is if you have a lot of people printing at the same time, there isn't much there to manage the pring jobs. Usually I configure them where a computer server is doing the actual printing to the box and all the workstations print through the server.

9. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

I like the idea of simply adding a parallel port if applicable and if I read it right from your post above. There is generally ever only one print job in the que at one time and there should be no issue with handling. I just need to route the job to the right computer at the appropriate time.

Can I simply have the port added as I asked above?

10. Rockn

Rockn

No...you didn't look at the link I posted. A print server is a piece of hardware that controls where the print jobs go. It is a small network device and only costs around $70 bucks US for the one I showed you. Perfect solution for a small business with a small LAN.

11. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

Sorry you are right I missed the link.

Hmmm now I am truly confused. I visited both Radio Shack and BestBuy and told them my goal (to connect two printers to one computer) and they both pointed me to the same solution (the switch which allows you to plug into the parellel port and gives you two connections). After a days worth of tech support the switch manufacturer basically figured out my printer was ceising the port and a switch would not work for me. I asked them if there was anything else I could get and they said NO( other then a server computer). I then took the switch back to BestBuy and asked if there was any other solution and they too said NO (other then a server computer).

I hate to doubt you (and I don't but must clarify) Are you sure I can buy a print server that is small device and that it will serve my needs.

it sounds too good to be true and if you say yes I am off to best buy or radio shack to buy the Dlink product you suggested.

thx in advance.

Edit : Also I originally bought a Dlink router to run my home network and after two days with their tech support and lots of help from this forum it was determined I should simply take it back as it would not recognize my 2000 machine (apparently a common problem for Dlink). I then got a more expensive Linksys 802.11b wireless router which hooked up instantly. SHould I look for a Linksys Print server as well instead of risking the dlink?

12. Rockn

Rockn

You can also buy a Linksys print server, it doesn't have to be a DLink. It will work the way I stated above and just connecti it into your network. There will be some minro configuration of the print server but it is actually very simple with the documentation.

13. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

14. Rockn

Rockn

That however isn't a network printing solution as the PC only has one IP address.

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You can easily share multiple printers that are connected to single computer over a network. Just like you can share multiple directories. Even though the computer only has one IP address.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!