1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for a video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Descried, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Descried

Descried Thread Starter

Hello, I'm looking for a video card for my new PC. It is an Asus Essentio CM5571-BR003. The specs are:

Dual-Core Processor: 2.7 ghz
    Ram: 6.00 GB
    64 bit operating system

I'm not very good with computers so I don't know how to find out much else. Will be checking back here soon because I'm pretty sure I didn't add everything. Thanks for your help. Also, for the video card, I want to be able to play l4d2 on it, but I'm worried that if I get a good one (with 1 gig mem) the power supply wouldn't handle it. Would a 512 MB be good enough for newer games? I plan on playing FFXIV when it comes out, too. Thanks again.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The amount of RAM does not determine if a card is good or not. A lot of cards sell with 1GB that are not gaming cards or close too it, its a marketing ploy. An identical card that uses 512MB or 640MB or 1GB of RAM will have nearly identical power requirements.

You'll need a new power supply for any decent mid or high level card. The unit only has a 300 watt power supply.

Whats you budget?

3. Descried

Descried Thread Starter

Anywhere from 50-100$. I was planning on an ATI Radeon some number with 1gig for like 80, but if a 512MB that's for gaming would be better, might as well. With the video cards I was looking at, they all required 300 watt power supply, so that's ok, and I really wouldn't know how to change the power supply, anyways. I've seen a friend install a video card before, so that seems simple enough, and I know the rules like grounding yourself and not doing it on carpet and only touching the sides of the video card and all, so I feel confident about installing that myself, but with a power supply I'd be lost. I could go over 100$ for a video card if 10-30$ would make a big difference, but if not, I'd like to stay in the 50-100$ range. Thanks.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A lot of mid range cards call for a 400 watt and higher power supply, the amps on the +12 volt rail are key as well.

This card:
    Geforce GT 240 512MB @ $79.99($69.99 after M.I.R.): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127466
    Will work with a 300 watt PSU.

Here's a benchmark: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gt-240,2475.html

This is what I'd be recommending:

Thermaltake 500 watt @ $59.99($39.99 after mail-in rebate): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153052

Or Radeon HD 5670 @ $83.99 ($73.99 after M.I.R.): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161319

But you also have shipping costs. So not close to your ideal budget, the PSU is the killer. Which cards were you looking at? How big is your monitor? If you have a small monitor and don't plan on upgrading it then that means the resolution the card has to handle would be lower and performance could be better even with lower end cards, but not bottom end.

Lower end cards might be able to play both games, but maybe not at the highest graphic settings or resolutions or at smooth frame rates. And when the next set of games come out you may be looking for an upgrade yet again.

5. Descried

Descried Thread Starter

Don't have to wait/worry about shipping if I go to BestBuy, but if it would really be worth it, I could just do it online.

Like I said, I don't really know how to install the power supply, or whatever, so I'd rather just get a video card that I don't have to worry about any of that with. Thanks for the two links for the 300W video cards, I'll consider them.

Oh, also, how do I know what DDR# to get for the video card? Do I get it the same DDR as my RAM?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Only one of the cards I posted says it will work for on a 300 watt power supply. The Radeon 5670 requires a 400 watt power supply.

The power supply simply screws in and the cables plug into the motherboard and drives. Its very simple.

The DDR type and speed is irrelevant. The memory type and speed on a video card has no bearing on the memory in the system.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice