Looking for a work around

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

weldor

I got a digital camera for Christmas and can't install the software because it says it requires win 98se and all I have is win98. What I wondered was if there were some files I could add or something to make it work with Win98, or is this a bad dream? I sure hate to try to update the operating system on this old machine and can't afford a new one right now.

Thanks for any advice.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
I would think that it has to do with better USB support in Second Edition. But I could be wrong. What camera and software do you have.

weldor

It's a Canon A520, the Disk says Canon Digital Solution Disk ver.22.0. It has a couple of photo programs and Twain driver and Wia driver. I tried to install it and it will get to the "installing software on your computer" then come up with message "installed failed"

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
If you just connect the camera using the camera to USB connector cable, (and set the correct camera options), can you then see that camera as one of your drives, and just drag/drop the pictures?

weldor

I haven't tried that,as the instruction book says not to connect the camera to the computer until you have installed the software. I don't want to do anything that might mess up the camera?

I am not real good with computers as is.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
I would try it. I have an A85 and the thing that gets installed is ZoomBrowser that provides a nice application interface to the camera so that you can do all the downloads from the PC.

But, if you set the camera up in send mode, you should be able to see the camera as a drive in Explorer, IF your Win98 has enough USB smarts to see it.

If that fails, look for a MS Windows98 Second Edition Updates CD (not the upgrade). This CD sold for $19.95 when new so if you can find one for sale it should be fairly inexpensive.

Best

weldor

I got it working, well pretty well. I went to the cannon web site and there was a place to download drivers for my camera so I thought I'd try something, I downloaded the Twain driver only, none of the Zoom browser or other avalible things. clicked on install and it went through with the install without a hitch.

I hooked up my camera today and it found the driver and everything works.

Thanks for the help.

PS. About the Windows98 se update. Will that work if I only have Win98 installed now or do I have to install Win98 se first?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online