1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for add & popup blocking software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by BlackHorseman, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlackHorseman

BlackHorseman Thread Starter

Greetings,

I'm looking for some decent add & popup blocking software, preferably freeware, to deal with incessant popups, nefarious banners that gobble up enormous quantities of bandwidth and some flash banners that seem to have been specifically design to challenge one's sanity.....

Using Win2k SP4, IE 6.0.

Thank you,
    D.

2. gtard*10^kp

gtard*10^kp

first off, as a general PSA, stop using IE (internet explorer). Switch to somthing more stable/secure like mozilla's firefox. this will also curb your pop-up issues as it has pop-up blocking software coded into the browser. I believe that firefox also has the ability to stop all flash animations, and all animations actually. Look into making the switch, and tell all your friends to make the switch too.

-gtard

3. michael_jii

michael_jii

Hey blackhorseman,

Firefox is great (www.getfirefox.com) and i never get all the anoying popus/toolbars ar any other junk.
    If you want to keep ie though, try google's toolbar, it comes with a popup bloker and some other cool features, just go to google.com and click on the "more-" button

Hope that helps,

4. BlackHorseman

Greetings!

Thanks, people.
    Yeah, switching to Mozilla is probably what I should do. So, onward, and the hell with the torpedoes..... right?
    :)

D.

5. BlackHorseman

Actually, the reason I wanted to stick with IE, the only reason for me (or anybody [malevolent grin]) to stick with it, is that all my surfing history and favs are stored there. And now I see it can all be imported to Firefox.... el-neato!

I'm there!

6. BlackHorseman

Hello again,

I'm posting this using Firefox 1.0 :)
    This browser appears to be a lot less buggy that IE. For one, it allows you to organize your favorites, and they stay organized, which is quite a different experience from what I'm used to in IE....

Still, after installing the Flash plugin I found no option there to control Flash banners. And the horrible flash banners that are so rife on one of my main internet haunts is the reason I did all this in the first place, so....

What do I do?

Thanks in advance,
    D.

7. BlackHorseman

I also forgot to mention that all my hard preserved history got wiped.... that is, it was not imported into Firefox, and that is a major downside, especially for ppl who use forums a lot, like myself.

8. BlackHorseman

OK,

This was short and painful.
    Now Firefox is crashing every 5 minutes (literally)

So, I'm going back to IE, and back to the same problem I had in the beginning....

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

BlackHorseman,

It's going to be interesting to see what starts happening with Firefox as more people start using it.

One pop-up blocker I've used for a while, although not free, works quite well. Pop-Up Cop. Seems a bit better than some of the free ones like Google.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!