looking for advice for home network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sciullo779

Im in the process of putting together a home network that i intend on having a media server and a few machines on the domain, just something to accompany my learning in my IT program.

Ive done some research and i ended up ordering a dell poweredge 1850 off of ebay just to start simply because it was cheap and had a 64 bit cpu so I can run server 2003 and 08 with little issues (i hope), but i now realize i would have preferred something with more hdd bays for a larger raid 5 configuration.

whats a decent server to look for that has more bays but would be able to run server 2008 x64 for $100 or less?

secondly, ive been reading about the many problems that accompany installing an os on a server that was wiped, are there any general tips you can give me? ive installed server 03 and 08 on virtual machines, but never dealt with a hardware raid before.

ill add questions to this thread as I think of them.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online