1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for advice on a future video card purchase

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Elghinnfaer, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elghinnfaer

Elghinnfaer Thread Starter

Myself and wife are looking to upgrade our current video card (ATI 4670)

Our mainboard is a P7N Diamond, we both use windows xp, she uses xp32, I use xp64

My question is this, what video card model would you recommend for a upgrade ? We are looking to spend about $150.00 each and we are not sure if we should stay with ATI or go over to Nvidia. our boards are SLI and we did put our systems together ourselves, but we are far from experts. Do we need to go with a Nvidia video card to use the SLI function (we are not looking to use that option as yet, just thinking of down the road)

We both are gameaholics, she enjoys Fallout 3 as do I but we also like to play things like Crysis,Borderlands, Bioshock 2 ect.

Any suggestions are welcome, we would like to see some improvement in fps but are on a rather tight budget, these cards will be bought as anniversary presents to each other this year (last year we bought the (P7N Diamond mainboard)

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

As you like gaming, a good card is definitely a must, obviously :)
    As far as SLI goes, it is the same as crossfire in one big respect- it lets you puts 2 cards in. Most of the time though, a single higher card will give better results, and for wehat you spend on the 2 lowers, the return isnt brilliant. I wouldnt worry about SLI, or Xfire, unless you are an ubergamer, or like the brag rights. (Please, dont look at my spec :) )

At the moment Newegg have the ATI 5770 for 160 bucks, or thereabouts. A lot of my clan have been upgrading lately, due to bad company 2 coming out, and all have reported this as a great card. Works very well, no too expensive, and gives great gameplay.

In terms o fNvidia, you could get a 250 for around the same price, but these do not have DX 11 and, from the bemchmarks we have had back, the 5770 seems to be bette.r

Just my tuppence ha'peny worth, good luck with whatever you get in the end :)

3. Elghinnfaer

Elghinnfaer Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply, neither myself or my wife are looking to be anything near ubber. just want a little tweak of improvement and I will show her what you have suggested. We still use XP and probably will be stubborn and use it for a good time longer so direct X 10 or 11 is not a big factor.

This is what we are leaning towards at the moment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150482

256 bit memory interface looks nice compared to our old cards 128, we take a small cut on the core clock of about 100 MHz but the memory clock is a huge improvement. we will be going from 873 MHz to 1990 MHz, and the stream processors from 320 to a nice 800.

Here is a link to our old card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102842&cm_re=4670-_-14-102-842-_-Product

Thank you again and we are in no rish so the more suggestions the better.

One last question, it is my understanding that our mainboard supports SLI, but radeon cards support Crrossfire, this does mean that we will not be able to get them to function in a pair on our current motherboard correct ?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice