1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

looking for agp graphics card

Discussion in 'Games' started by neild79, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neild79

neild79 Thread Starter

im trying to buy a good graphics card + am wondering if anyone knows of one at about £90. IT MUST BE AGP. THANK YOU

2. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Its a huge subject and relates to what you need to do with your computer. I am fairly heavy using graphics and this (reasonably) cheapy, works for me ATI 9600 Pro (256)

3. toodanK

toodanK

4. neild79

neild79 Thread Starter

i bought a graphics card today off ebay. its the ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256MB AGP. can someone tell me if this card is any good? the selller says it usually sells for £379. IS THIS TRUE?? i bought it for £92. THANK YOU

5. neild79

neild79 Thread Starter

i just bought a ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256MB AGP from ebay for £92. the seller says it usually sells for £379. is this true?? i actually prefer nvidia, but will use the ati for the computer i have the now(amd athlon 64 3000+ 2.0ghz 754socket, asrock k8upgrade vm800 754socket, elixir 256mb ddr400 pc3200 184 pin ram, 250gb 8mb samsung sp2504c hdd). im going to start building a computer shortly(preferably an am2 based one as ive won an am2 motherboard from asrock) + will DEFINETLY get a NVIDIA card for this machine....preferably a 7900gt or 7900gtx.. THANK YOU

6. Jones

Jones

Well, back when they were new, they probably did sell for over 300, but it's a pretty old card right now. 100 would probably be a good price for a new one, but I certainly wouldn't pay any more for it. Is it new or used?

Here's a link to a similar card:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131213

7. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

That is the card I have.

It was the best card available at the time that Dell let me choose from when I ordered my computer. It lasted for 2 years and then died big time.

Dell sent a technician out to replace it and since I was still under warranty, they put a brand new 9800XT in there for free.

It's a pretty decent card. I wouldn't pay more than $150 Canadian for it now, but that's just me. I have been running 9800XTs for about 3 years and it's a pretty good card.

Watch out for overheating, something that may/may not have caused my card to die (I don't know how... I have like 6 fans) and clean your case out regularly (compressed air would be good... NEVER a vacuum) and you should be fine.

8. neild79

neild79 Thread Starter

what do you mean by COMPRESEED AIR? LOL where would i get this from(a special kind of fan?) & how would i do this?? thanks

9. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

:eek: Never heard of it?!?

Compressed air, compressed gas whatever you want to call it. This is the stuff I use: http://www.microcenter.com/image.phtml?id=0208781&sku=309799

Basically it's just a spray can that you attach a small "straw" to and you pull the trigger and it blows compressed gas to clean out the dust inside your computer. Best idea is to blow from front to back once the case is opened that way the dust will escape through the rear vents and not just get blown around inside the case itself.

Just don't inhale it to get high: http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_dust_off.htm

10. neild79

neild79 Thread Starter

that is one sad story. shame

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490446

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice