Looking for an easy and free remote access solution?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

deh

www.logmein.com

LogMeIn.com provides secure remote access solutions. All products include a desktop remote control that allows you to use your PC from any web-enabled remote device, including PDAs and laptops.

Need to open a file on your office computer while on vacation? Now you can with LogMeIn FREE!
Easily control the mouse and keyboard of any remote PC for FREE.

» Open remote files
» Check your email
» Run programs
» Run system diagnostics
» Access from any browser
» Access from wireless PDA
» Easy-to-use interface
» 100% FREE to use!

So what's the catch?
If you really need to be able to access your PC remotely, set up OpenSSH with private key authorisation and use Remote Desktop (XP Pro and Win2k(3) server) or VNC.
Also free, secure and 100% controlled by YOU, not some 3rd party that may or may not be legit.
A little bit of work, yes, but not too difficult, and if it is, you probably won't be able to set up your router for PAT/NAT anyway...

deh

Youre welcome. ;)

The catch could be they offer a premium service.

The skepticism is understood and we all see one person's "thumbs down" but how about we see some other opinions like how about
PC Magazine?
"...it provides many more features, including secure remote control, as well as secure file access, synchronization and sharing, and remote diagnostics." *

- March 2, 2004

Ok granted not much but what about people that have used it?

"You guys have put a lot into this and I am greatly impressed. RemotelyAnywhere has a great product. I am responsible for 15 computers and I am currently using LogMeIn on several of them. I have not been "trained" in computer systems; rather, I am self taught. I am the guy everyone I know comes to for computer help. Keep up the great work."

-Ron Goodwyne, North Charleston, South Carolina, IT Manager for Riverbluff Church

"LogMeIn enables us to deliver critical support services to our clients — instantly. It is a huge step forward in the increasingly important area of remote access and administration. The team at RemotelyAnywhere provide not only the best technology, but also superior customer support."

-Martin McSweeney, Scotland, Founder and chief technology officer of IT Office Solutions Ltd., an IT Consultancy dealing with mission critical information and support.

"This is a great product! I am a network admin for a small company and this really fits what we have been looking for...."

-Paul Zahner, Harbor Technology Group

"Count me in on using LogMeIn! It's like having a remote keyboard to my computer 50 miles away. The RemotelyAnywhere software means all I need is a web browser, an ID, and a password to reach my PC anywhere in the world. How cool is that?"

-Robert Butler, Lilburn, GA.

"Thank you so much for ironing out the problems with my subscriptions for me. You've been most helpful, courteous, and professional... Thanks to you, in large part, we have now moved our business from our leased offices to our homes and are saving $2,000/month in rent! My office manager and I love working from our 'Virtual Offices' in our PJ's... You provide an excellent product with excellent, professional service/support. Thank you."

-Marian Younger, Proprietor
Younger Reporting Services, Certified Court Reporters
Riverside, CA

"This is one wonderful way of being wherever you want when you want and keep in touch with your business. I love it! I have no problem with your wonderful program and I want to thank you. The file transfer is so nice, quick and easy."

-Didier t'Serstevens

"I stumbled on your program by accident and could not be happier. Your product is revolutionary, both in its ease of use and in its support team that actually supports! I will recommend your program highly to anyone I think would be interested in this type of software... I run into and around with a number of geeks, gurus and eggheads that I'm certain will be interested! If you guys develop any other programs, please, if possible, let me know. I am not easily impressed, but you have succeeded in a grand fashion. Obviuosly, I can't say enough about 3AM and its extaordinary staff."

-Thomas Orgeman

I agree though about weighing out options and encourage research but am just wondering if previous person posting researched 3amlabs before forming such a conclusion.

Edit:
Incidentally i found Pc mags full unbiased review which may help in ones research:
Yes, 3am Labs offers a free version of LogMeIn, its new Web-based remote control tool. But, like so many free services, it's not without limitations. For those who need a bit more than just basic remote control, 3am also offers a Pro version of LogMeIn, priced at $12.95 per month. It includes both a tool for transferring files to and from your own remote machines and a way of sending files to friends, family, and colleagues.
Where basic remote control is concerned, LogMeIn Pro is no different than the free version. You install a client on a PC, and you're then able to access that machine from almost any browser on the Web.

If your browser supports ActiveX or Java, you can freely navigate a remote system's OS as if you were sitting in front of it. You can move icons, run applications, open files, and change settings. And if your browser doesn't support ActiveX or Java, you're not entirely out of luck. You can still do remote control by intermittently grabbing still images of the system's desktop. In ActiveX or Java mode, the app is wonderfully fast, but not quite as adept as GoToMyPC.
rest of article:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1706851,00.asp

OK, thanks for the elaboration. Still, I wouldn't want to run a business PC or a private one with confidential data (banking apps spring to mind) through such a solution, simply because there's no telling of what's actually happening in the gateway. Call me paranoid...

Then again, there are still people out there that honestly try to provide services without malicious intent, but it seems that they are becoming a minority fast.

For everyone that is really helped out by this service: good for you, but I still prefer to make my own arrangements.

I and my company have been using a similar service www.gotomypc.com for over two years. We have subscribed to two computers. (Their pricing is similar also for the upgraded service).
We have never had a problem. This service allows for people with no experience with computers to remotely work from other locations. We have several offices and keep a database on a "server" computer that other offices can connect to, and work with the data without a glitch.
The only problem with these services are that unless you have broadband (which we have in all locations) the remote session would be very slow. With broadband it is almost as fast as being there!
I will look into this new service since there is a free option. Although we use the file printing and file transfer capabilities in our remote computers, there are other computers we have that at times I want to simply get on and tweek something or help someone that is having a problem.
I hope this service is as good as what I am used to.
Thanks for the information.

I'm usually a VNC user but I'd had some probs with firewall configuration on my home end and put it on the back burner.
I just installed LogMeIn (configuring ZA accordingly, of course) and was able to connect from work first try. I think I'll stick with this for while. Prett neat. Thanks!

Well, I signed up two computers and tried out the service. It works! The refresh rate is slower than gotomypc's. The fact that they have a free service is great. I will use this for occassional sessions on some computers. Usually these services upgrade their software frequently. I expect them to improve in time.
Thanks again deh for the link!

deh

You are both welcome. I tried it and it works, a little clunky ( I can't seem to get my screen to match up with the remote PC easily) but it works and can't beat the price.

I agree with Ispec on being a little skeptical going through a 3rd party but they seem to get good reviews, appear to be reputable and i know a few Gotomypc users who have been using thier service for awhile and don't seem to have any security problems (ie. Gotomypc actually "messing" with thier computers).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online