1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for an external CD-RW (USB 2.0)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JohnO28356, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnO28356

JohnO28356 Thread Starter

I have a pretty basic HP model 8230e CD-RW (USB 1.0) that I've been using for back-up, etc, for maybe 3 years and it's always worked great. I kept it after I switched to XP since HP came out with drivers. However, change is needed. I was feeling nostalgic this afternoon, and signed up for the Rhapsody music service, selected my music, and clicked burn. After Rhapsody's Wizard checked out my CD-RW, CD etc, it told me I should burn at 1x (Buffer??). That's really unacceptable, so-- what to get? I hear the 52x RW's sometime shatter disks, so how about 48x? Will that do it for me? I have space for an internal drive. My Comp: XP Home, sp1. P4 2.40ghz, 512 RAM. Would really appreciate some recommendations. Thanks.

2. chakorules

chakorules

I've used and "sold" Liteon's External drive. The 24X model. It was a nice drive, 24X was fast enough for most people and it sure did get shared alot between alot of laptop users....It's been a durable unit to the best of my knowledge.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, you can buy a standard CD-RW drive for $10-20 after rebate, and put it into a $30 USB 2.0 case and accomplish your goal very inexpensively. :)

4. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

Well I'm glad I read this post!
    I didn't even know that you could do that.
    I'm gonna' have to do some research to find that USB 2.0 case you mentioned.
    That's gonna save me a ton of money!!

Thanks!

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice