1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for an XP tutorial

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by digger1, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. digger1

digger1 Thread Starter

Hello All,
    I am looking for an on-line interactive tutorial for PC beginners. I work with two middle age women who have absolutely no PC skills and due to a recent reorganization have to learn some XP basics fast. TPTB (in their infinite wisdom) have signed them up for a class on Word and I fear they will be totally lost (not knowing what a mouse is, much less on how to use one). Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

digger1

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

The best way would be simply to put them in front of a computer and let them experiment. The greatest fear of newcomers seems to be that they might "break something". Having a computer available that is expendable or has someone around who can fix things offers enough re-assurance that new people feel free to just try things.

This "tutorial" is not at the level of not even being able to use a mouse, but offers a good overview of XP:
    http://ics.purdue.edu/helpdocs/General/XPTutorial.asp?noss=1

3. RUSST

RUSST

Windows XP comes with an interactive tutorial. Click start> all programs> accessories> Microsoft interactive training.

4. xgerryx

xgerryx

Hello Russt

This option isn't always available on a lot of machines. I think it is on new OEM installations (or something like that) and if the machine has been formatted and xp reinstalled you will lose that function.

5. digger1

digger1 Thread Starter

Wow! Thanks for the quick replies. These are two great ladies and I would hate to see them out of a job. It looks like class will be in session this weekend at my house.

Thanks again.

digger1

6. rude

rude

I have to tell you that my best friend (when I first started working with Windows) was,and still is, Help & Support (Start/Help & Support)
    What is cool is that,whenever you have a question,you can look it up.

My second best friend was (and has now become my new best friend), GOOGLE, you can find it here,and make sure to bookmark it:
    http://www.google.ca/ The best Internet search site there is!

I'm pretty sure if you can't find it with GOOGLE,it doesn't exist.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Here is a complete online interactive tutorial in Macromedia Flash and Shockwave from Microsoft. Don't be put off by the prices listed at the top---the courses are free. Scroll down to the first XP lesson, which happens to be logging on and using the mouse.

http://www.microsoft.com/insider/learning/lessons.asp#

8. digger1

digger1 Thread Starter

Again, many thanks for the suggestions. I've been able to put together a nice little crash course that (hopefully) will not be too overwhelming.

digger1

P.S. I love the Google search and have bookmarked and used it several times already today.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220857

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice