1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

looking for antivirus program

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bruinator, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bruinator

bruinator Banned Thread Starter

I am looking for a good free home anti virus program. Can I please get some ideas on some good ones please that is easy to use and people here actually use. I appreciate any positive feedback. I use avast now but it interferes with downloading things so I can't use that anymore.

TIA

2. Augie65

Augie65

3. randy_california

randy_california

Augie65 has said it all, no need to look any further.
    "AVG 7.5 Anti-Virus Free Edition"

4. jbm1991

jbm1991

i do recommend mcafee as ive never had any problems with it, and you'l be fine with anything really, just stay clear of norton. if you havent got a firewall then get zone alarm

5. bruinator

bruinator Banned Thread Starter

thanks, can I please get more responses for what other's use. I will go with most popular choice. I appreciate it.

6. golferbob

golferbob

i use avg also and comodo free firewall ,they seem to work well together.

7. brindle

brindle

I have to agree with Augie65.
    AVG

8. dotty999

dotty999

First Name:
    Dotty
    I had always used Avg until recently when I had pc problems, I decided to try Avast which found 3 viruses that Avg missed! also Avg slowed my pc down when it was doing the daily update whereas Avast doesn't interfere at all:)

9. vicks

vicks

I too use AVG and been happy with it for several years. Continue to use it on our desk top running XPpro
    However, because it no longer supports win 98SE, I do use Avast on our older laptop Have been happy with it too.
    Besides AV I suggest you install a firewall (I use Zone Labs Zone Alarm) and 1 or more anti spy ware programs ( I use Lava Softs Ad-aware and Spy Bot Search and Destroy) All are free.
    With these programs my computers have remained 'clean' for several years.
    good luck

vicks

10. Stoner

Stoner Banned

I had been a user of AVG free until a recent definitions update incorrectly flagged a file in Works 2000, breaking it.
    I switched to Avast! and think highly of it.

It will stop infected downloads.

11. batosai

batosai

why dont you try antivir, kaspersky 7.0, NOd32, PC cilin.........
    but i suggest you to use antivir..(y)

12. caraewilton

caraewilton

I highly recommened AVG, although it does slow down ones computer which is why I now use Avast.

13. Donmario78

Donmario78

I'm my own antivirus program. Norton Antivirus 2006 came with my laptop, but it never really helped much, especially after I got the nasty Winfixer virus, not to mention a sh*tload of vundo on my machine. So, I decided I would look through my hard drive, and find and kill all those little buggers myself (with the help of Virtumundobegone.exe that I used once or twice)!

14. batosai

batosai

i agree with Donmario78. most of anti virus said that its product is the best in the world. but i think there's so many weakness. some anti virus can slow down our pc or need to update time by time. i don't use any anti virus at all. if virus infected my pc, i try to find out it n crash it with other product such as kill box etc. or find the latest anti virus which can defined that virus. n than uninstall AV....

15. Hughv

Hughv

I've used AVG for many years and never had a virus, slowdown, a crash or a problem of any kind.
    I've installed this program on a lot of PCs without any complaints.
    I've heard good things about the other programs mentioned as well, but I'm most intrigued by the donmario78 AV. Winfixer is spyware, not a virus, so Norton may not be the right program to detect it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!