1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for BIOS replacement service

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Morthian, May 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Morthian

Morthian Thread Starter

I need the BIOS chip on a notebook PC's motherboard replaced. Does anyone know of an experienced and reputable company, or freelancer, who can provide this service (preferably in the U.S.)?

2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Can you give us the computer brand and serial number or service tag number
    and/or
    The model number of the motherboard that was replaced and brand.

3. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    You'd probably spend less money if you "just" buy a replacement board. SOme older boards have a removable chip. Most never ones had the bios chip soldered on.

4. Morthian

Morthian Thread Starter

Computer Model: Dell Studio 1747
    Service Tag: FC6GTM1
    Motherboard: Compal NAT01 LA-5153P

I had the notebook custom ordered by Dell about 6 years ago. That might sound like a long time ago, but the specs are still high even by today's standards. It's a shame it's nothing more than a giant brick right now because a tiny chip got corrupted. And I've been having a really difficult time finding someone who has the expertise to replace that chip.

I actually really considered this, until I realized I would be way in over my head. I don't even have the tools or knowledge to replace a little BIOS chip. Replacing the motherboard is not anything even close to as simple as I suppose I hoped it might be.

5. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    It really isn't that hard to replace the motherboard. The "hard" part is resetting the processor and heatsink with heat compound. If that's not done right your system has a great risk of overheating.

Everything else you can be removed by taking a few screws out. You probably also have to take the Power supply and hard disk out.

6. Morthian

Morthian Thread Starter

It was several months ago when I looked into it, but I think it involved more than just that. Even so, that sounds like a lot more work than just removing one little 8-pin chip and replacing it with another.

Besides, I was never able to find a motherboard of the same model; the closest I could find was a LA-5141P.

Regardless of how it's fixed and the cost, I just want it working again. That's why I'm hoping to find someone who could provide the service.

7. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Here is the Dell Support drivers for your computer. You can download the Bios driver from there too.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/servicetag/FC6GTM1/drivers

Did you replaced the motherboard with the model number you provided (LA-5141P), whch I made a search and it comes out for an Acer Aspire computer.

Here is your motherboard model number available if interested:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Del...944885?hash=item3ac0ee48f5:g:ipQAAOSwWBJXA7tw

Not sure if it is the same one or not.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  8. Morthian

Morthian Thread Starter

The drivers won't help. I made many attempts to flash the BIOS, but it's too far gone.

That is my model, although, it says it's used. I think I filtered out used results when I last searched (sometime last fall I think).

Although, now I remember my main concern about replacing the motherboard. Like I mentioned above, I had the system custom built, and I chose from a selection of GPUs. Wouldn't this be a problem if I actually did try to replace the entire board?

9. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
  10. Morthian

Morthian Thread Starter

This is why I'm trying to find someone who could just replace the BIOS chip.

I've been in contact with someone who has experience replacing BIOS chips and has YouTube videos showing the entire process as he does it. He does not necessarily specifically specialize in this, but he gave me a price of $65 to try replacing mine. Although, he stressed that he cannot guarantee it will work...

11. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    If you're contemplating spending $ 65.00 for a new chip replacement. That's without the cost of the chip. And more important. I has no guarantee that it'll work! I fell you're better off spending a little bit more on a new motherboard. It has the chip, it is guaranteed for a period of time. And if it doesn't work for you, you can send it back. That's not possible with a chip. Once you buy it it's yours. Whether it works or not.
    Just my opinion, for what it's worth. (according to my wife? Nothing. :) )

12. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    I looked the mother board up. You can buy a replacement for anywhere between $ 80.00 to $ 120.00. It makes absolutely no sense to me to buy a chip, pay $ 65.00 and then have no guarantee that it'll work.

13. Morthian

Morthian Thread Starter

I don't know how I forgot to mention this above, but I already have a replacement BIOS chip. I bought it on eBay from a reputable seller last year; I think it was something like $17, and already pre-programmed. I was going to send him the chip with the board; the 65 would just be for labor.

14. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Still doesn't make sense to me to use $ 65.00 plus shipping for something that may not work when you can get a guaranteed replacement for about $ 85.00
    But, that of course, is entirely up to you. Good luck with it.

15. replay

replay

this is a laptop??? the average joe would not attempt to change a laptop motherboard!!!.....its a little more involved than taking a few screws out!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1171284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice