Looking for good, free file sync utility

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Anakrino

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a utility to synchronize files between my laptop and desktop machines. Specifically I would like a utility that is free, easy to use, and runs in the background keeping the files in sync.

The last few weeks I've been using a program called PowerFolder, but I'm having a lot of problems with it. Microsoft's SyncToy seems to work well, but it seems to copy files that don't really need to be copied and it doesn't run in the background.

Thanks!
Jacob

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I prefer to do periodic scheduled backups with something like Cobian Backup, it's pretty rare that real-time backups a necessary.

Anakrino

JohnWill said:
I prefer to do periodic scheduled backups with something like Cobian Backup, it's pretty rare that real-time backups a necessary.
I'm not really looking for backup purposes. I do a lot of switching off between my laptop and desktop and I want all my files in both places.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
What do you mean, "a lot of switching"? Do you have both sitting there and swivel around and key on one, then move to the next one? I guess I can't see the need to have them synchronized "up to the minute".

I dont know much about the utility, but i have heard a skuzi setupcan do realtime backups/copies in the background and runs while the system is running and happens instantaneously. I am not sure how to do this as i never needed to use it.

Anakrino said:
I'm not really looking for backup purposes. I do a lot of switching off between my laptop and desktop and I want all my files in both places.
We might be missing what he is asking for here-- I think what he is asking for is a synch utility that will compare the dates of identically named files and update to the newest version on each computer (so he always has the newest version in both places-- but can continue working on the file wherever he is.) If I am correct, a simple illustration would be like a writer writing a novel-- he works on it at home -desktop/update both- then he works on it at a remote location and updates when he returns home. That way he has all changes on both computers.

Unfortunately, I don't have the experience with this kind of utility to make a recommendation.
letchworth

Well even though it is designed for backup skuzi can keep two copies of things and update as things are done and runs 24/7. Unfortunately, im not sure how to set it up.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online