1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for good, free file sync utility

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Anakrino, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anakrino

Anakrino Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a utility to synchronize files between my laptop and desktop machines. Specifically I would like a utility that is free, easy to use, and runs in the background keeping the files in sync.

The last few weeks I've been using a program called PowerFolder, but I'm having a lot of problems with it. Microsoft's SyncToy seems to work well, but it seems to copy files that don't really need to be copied and it doesn't run in the background.

Thanks!
    Jacob

2. ferrija1

ferrija1

3. Anakrino

Anakrino Thread Starter

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Karenware's Replicator

Easy to setup and use.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

SyncToy, right from Microsoft.

6. ferrija1

ferrija1

That's a bad thing. :p

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

8. Anakrino

Anakrino Thread Starter

This one looks pretty good. Looks like it will do what I'm wanting and I checked a few reviews--most are positive. I'll try it! :)

Thanks!
    Jacob

9. JohnWill

I prefer to do periodic scheduled backups with something like Cobian Backup, it's pretty rare that real-time backups a necessary.

10. Anakrino

Anakrino Thread Starter

I'm not really looking for backup purposes. I do a lot of switching off between my laptop and desktop and I want all my files in both places.

11. JohnWill

What do you mean, "a lot of switching"? Do you have both sitting there and swivel around and key on one, then move to the next one? I guess I can't see the need to have them synchronized "up to the minute".

12. new tech guy

new tech guy

I dont know much about the utility, but i have heard a skuzi setupcan do realtime backups/copies in the background and runs while the system is running and happens instantaneously. I am not sure how to do this as i never needed to use it.

13. letchworth

letchworth

We might be missing what he is asking for here-- I think what he is asking for is a synch utility that will compare the dates of identically named files and update to the newest version on each computer (so he always has the newest version in both places-- but can continue working on the file wherever he is.) If I am correct, a simple illustration would be like a writer writing a novel-- he works on it at home -desktop/update both- then he works on it at a remote location and updates when he returns home. That way he has all changes on both computers.

Unfortunately, I don't have the experience with this kind of utility to make a recommendation.
    letchworth

14. ljbirns

ljbirns

I use Good Sync to keep my e-mails and certain other files in sync between my office and my home computers. I use a flash drive to carry the files back and forth.
    Also FolderShare will keep folders in sync between computers over the internet.
    I too works very well

http://www.goodsync.com/?a=1
    https://www.foldershare.com/

Lew

15. new tech guy

new tech guy

Well even though it is designed for backup skuzi can keep two copies of things and update as things are done and runs 24/7. Unfortunately, im not sure how to set it up.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540568

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice