1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for help on a keyboard problem.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by madeye, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. madeye

madeye Thread Starter

Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone knows a way I can switch the caps lock off somehow on the computer. I spilled coke on the keyboard the other day and now the caps lock button doesnt work and it is stuck on so when I type I have to hold shift.

Does anyone know if I can fix this? if I could just turn the caps lock off I wouldnt have to buy a new keyboard really but all caps is annoying.

Thanks for any help!

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

May be try removing the caps button and cleaning any sticky stuff with a damp cloth.

3. Lobos

Lobos

what os do you have

4. Lobos

Lobos

5. madeye

madeye Thread Starter

It is windows XP, Ill give a little more info. Its a laptop built by a local store here with all name brand parts, I spilled coke on it and didnt know any got onto the computer but the next day I start it up and cant enter the password. so I take it to the store and they took the keyboard out and soaked it but said that I got coke on the motherboard. the funny thing is when I started it and shut it down the day before it made the windows shutdown sound through the speakers and after taking it to the store to get fixed the sound doesnt work, I think Im getting took kinda, not much got spilled on it, wasnt even enough that I had sticky coke on the outside of the casing, it was like a couple drops right near the controller, so the controller fried is best I can think of.. Now ALL the keys make sticky noises even the ones that are on the opposite side of the spill. And it is just strange to me that the only key not working is the caps lock and the caps lock is on, It wasnt on before. so basically its the most convenient key to have screwed up, have the laptop still usable but need a new keyboard. Just the way the tech has gone about everything is fishy to me, I would expect when dealing with this type of thing when I go to pick it up he would know the sound doesnt work. he was so concerned about the spill affecting components but apparently didnt check to see if they were operational.

LoL Anyway thats the story, they had me prepay for a keyboard today so its gonna be replaced, I just feel even the 80 dollar keyboard is more than I want to give them, if I didnt feel like I was getting the wool over my eyes by them and they were straightfoward I would feel better considering an 800 dollar motherboard.
    Thanks for any help, I needed to vent too LoL.

6. Lobos

Lobos

dont know much about laptops

but if you have access to your mouse then those should work to turn of your caps lock until you get a new keyboard

7. madeye

madeye Thread Starter

Yeah I have a mouse, not sure what you mean by that should work though.

8. Lobos

Lobos

9. madeye

madeye Thread Starter

Sweet thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

10. Lobos

Lobos

your welcome

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice