1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for help with an HD 4670 graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hopster, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hopster

Hopster Thread Starter

Hi there, I have an emachines T3065 Desktop running Windows XP that came with an onboard nvidia graphics processor, I use photoshop CS5, a program called 2020 for interior/kitchen and Autocad for other design work. I purchased a HD4670 with 1 mg graphics card(AMD processor) that has Open GL features for better display. My PS is still a 300 watt original but I have a 500 watt on order.
    I have just installed the new card and cannot get Photoshop or any other program to recognize Open GL or any 3D capability.. In all my programs it say "Open-GL Disabled" or not available. I call AMD... they said they couldn't help... the cards supports it... ! No troubleshooting or advise. The tech told me I should go out and try another card..!!!

Could the 300 watt supply be keeping it turned off.. ? The techie had no answer for that question. Or is my problem the onboard Nvidia chip ??? I have uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver before I installed the new ATI Control console and drivers...

I have a few more days to figure this out before I can't return the card and purchase another one.
    Any suggestions...????
    Thanx, Hop

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    That card requires a minimum of 400W PS, so I would think this is the bottleneck. Also, I would not be taking a chance using your system this way as you could do more damage to it if the PS fails.

3. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Just to check and make sure,did you disconnect the monitor
    from the onboard video and connect it to the video card.
    I agree,don't try to run 3D apps until you upgrade that power supply.

4. Hopster

Hopster Thread Starter

I'll put in the new power supply and give that a try. I was very surprised that the techie at AMD didn't suggest that. He seemed to be totally lost..... Must a got a newbie..!
    Thanx for your help. I'll try that tomorrow and post my result.
    Hop

5. Hopster

Hopster Thread Starter

Just FYI, I did connect the new card to the monitor and I also uninstalled the original Nvidia drivers before I tried to install the new AMD drivers.
    Hop

6. Hopster

Hopster Thread Starter

Well I finally got some time to put in the new power supply.. seems it made now difference. I still can't get any OPEN GL for my software programs. I again called AMD and was told by the techie that I should try another card, maybe the HD-4670 dosen't work on my computer...! Maybe I should have bought some one elses card to begin with.... anyone out hter have any suggestions ????
    My biggest question is... is the original Nvidia on board graphics card interfering withe the new ATI/AMD in the AGP Slot...??? At this point I'm not sure what to do... I'm not even sure I can send this card back to Newegg for credit on another Brand... They have no tech support or anyone to talk to about this.
    Thanx for you help all
    Hop

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030542

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice