Looking for information/help for this Bug Check

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LauraMJ

Administrator
Could someone take a look at this link for me and hopefully give me some information and/or advice on what I can do to fix this problem?

This is the error I get, fairly consistantly, on a cold start-up. It never happens on a warm start-up, though. On the page, the #1 Parameter error for my computer is 0x8F, it's the fourth one down.

Does anyone have some suggestions for what I should do about this?

Thank you so much!

LauraMJ

Administrator
MSDN Home > MSDN Library > Windows Development > Driver Development Tools > Interpreting Bug Check Codes > Bug Check Codes

Driver Development Tools: Windows DDK

Bug Check 0x4E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
The PFN_LIST_CORRUPT bug check has a value of 0x0000004E. This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupt.

Parameters
The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen. Parameter 1 indicates the type of violation. The meaning of the other parameters depends on the value of Parameter 1.

Parameter 1 Parameter 2 Parameter 3 Parameter 4 Cause of Error
0x01 The ListHead value which was corrupt The number of pages available 0 The list head was corrupt
0x02 The entry in the list being removed The highest physical page number The reference count of the entry being removed A list entry was corrupt
0x07 The page frame number The current share count 0 A driver has unlocked a page more times than it locked it
0x8F New page number Old page number 0 The free or zeroed page listhead is corrupt
0x99 Page frame number Current page state 0 A PTE or PFN is corrupt

Cause
This error is typically caused by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists. For example, a driver might have called MmUnlockPages twice with the same list.

If a kernel debugger is available, examine the stack trace.

Built on Thursday, March 25, 2004

Manage Your Profile |Legal |Contact Us |MSDN Flash Newsletter
©2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use |Privacy Statement

Well, it doesn't set up quite the same as it is on the actually webpage. Here is the link, I think I forgot to include that in my first post.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddtools/bccodes_97l3.asp?frame=true

Parameter #1 on my error message is the second one up from the bottom, "0x8F."

Thanks for looking! :)

Your post looks like you copied from a knowledge base article,what I need is the exact wording of the error message itself.

LauraMJ

Administrator
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent further damage to your computer.

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these directions:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for an Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to disable or remove components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Start up Options and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:
***STOP: 0x0000004E (0xOOOOOO8F, 0xOOO17FDF, 0x000112B3, 0x00000000)

Beginning dump of Physical Memory
Physical memory dump complete

Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further

This is the error message I get, only on a cold start. I never get any other problems, the computer runs great, the rest of the time. I never get any error messages on a warm re-boot, either.

That knowledge base article I posted above is what I found out about my error message, but I don't know what to DO with that information, lol.

Any ideas of what I should do?

LauraMJ

Administrator
Thank you, Rude,

I have tested the memory with the Windows Memory diagnostic tool. It didn't find any errors.

For these two:
"Run hardware diagnostic tools that are provided by your computer manufacturer."
"Disable all file system filter drivers, such as backup utilities, virus scanners, or firewall software."

I don't think I know enough to do those, so if it comes to that, I'll have to take it to the shop, I suppose.

The last one suggests going to another webpage to check to see if the hardware and the hardware for the drivers are compatible and gives a link, and I will see if I can figure all that out. Which will take a while, I would imagine, lol.

Just a thought,but have you gone to the Device Manager to look for any yellow !'s or ?'s.
If you find one of the above you can troubleshoot from there

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online