1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for laptop motherboard advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kenjitamura, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kenjitamura

Kenjitamura Thread Starter

A friend who's staying with me has a laptop and wouldn't you know it the thing is dying. It's an HP DV6000 and although its specs look good with a little googling most everyone agrees it is a disaster, so much so HP initiated recalls a year after it was released. The exact model is dv6409wm. The first thing to go was his wireless card, I have only opened up the back panel to take a quick peak and I found where the wireless card is, I thought the wires had come undone but a little tug and they're pretty taught so I think they're still in place. The wireless LED on the front of the laptop is always red no matter how much you toggle the switch and replacing the drivers did nothing (its not even detected).

Second symptom starts with the graphics card, when he would boot up the system would take forever to load and when the desktop finally came up after about 3 seconds the screen went blank. Went into safe mode and uninstalled the graphics driver and now it boots up again however when I try to install the appropriate new graphics driver (Chipset is nvidia nforce 430 with geforce go 6150 integrated) the nvidia screen brings up the error the hardware isn't detected. It seems from the google searches that the chipset gets so hot that pieces and wiring unsolder from the motherboard.

Im not all that hardware savvy and although I've built a few desktops and taken some laptops apart Im a laptop novice. One idea I had was to open up the notebook and look at the damage, re-solder back everything in place and custom design a mini copper heatsink to put over the chipset with arctic silver 5 held in place on the motherboard with epoxy and then replace the fan with one of equivalent size but higher rpm's. Sounds good but Im not sure I'd be able to recognize all thats gone wrong with the motherboard so Im not so confident in my ability to fully repair it. The certainty of this being a well thought out long term solution is also debatable.

Another idea was to buy a new motherboard thats more recent (and most likely cooler) and then track down a corresponding notebook case designed for the motherboard and transfer over all the hardware (processor, ram, hard drive, optical drive, if possible LCD screen, if possible fan, wireless card, and tracking pad) If it turns out all the hardware is compatible and all I end up buying would be the motherboard and case then sounds like a fairly cheap alternative to repairs.

Im also open to any suggestions for motherboards that are compatible with the current case if anyone knows of any that would have fewer problems and just swap them out. Just looking for a cheap way to save this laptop, I dont think its unsalvagable yet.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I don't think you can do what you want, laptop motherboards and related hardware is not universal - you can't really pick and choose a motherboard and shell. You could buy a barebones/white-box unit and maybe re-use the CPU, drives, and memory, maybe. Re-soldering won't likely help at this point and if it would you'd need highly precise equipment and extremely good skill.

These units were junk, but if its under 2 years old HP should take it back, or if its over two years but has a history with HP for issues then they may take it back as well.

The cheap solution is the simple one, sell this one off for parts and buy a new one.

3. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Pull the Ram, optical drive and hard drive, then toss the rest. Not worth the effort to repair it.

4. Compiler

Compiler

As others have said...

Not worth it. You're only going to end up with a used mobo of the same type of possible defects or more.

Choose a better notebook.. higher end Dell or ThinkPads.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917978

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice