1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Looking for Linux Boot Diskette

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by ruthmark99, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ruthmark99

ruthmark99 Thread Starter

I have 4 CDs with Fedora Core 4, but my computer is permanently set to boot from the Floppy. Where can I download a Floppy boot diskette? I've changed my BIOS several times, but Floppy is my only hope! (y)

2. linuxphile

linuxphile Administrator

3. nuaimat

nuaimat

look at boot disks in www.bootdisk.info , u will find too many linux boot disks there

i don't know but i think the installer file which is located in the 1st CD can be run from the linux shell

4. ruthmark99

Daniel,
    Thanks for the link. I downloaded SmartBootManager but I don't know enough to know how to use it. I've lived a sheltered life. I'll keep working on it.

5. ruthmark99

Red Hat was saying to do what you're said about the boot diskette info being on the first CD...and right now, that's over my head. Thanks.

6. linuxphile

linuxphile Administrator

I believe what you want to do with SmartBootManager is download the file sbminst.exe from their site. Then open a command window, change directory to the download location and issue:

sbminst -t us -d 0

That will give you a US themed installation on your floppy drive.

HTH

7. saikee

saikee

Don't know if this help or not but the free Dos 7.10 comes with Grub as the boot loader.

You can make a Super boot floppy disk from the provide image and one of the boot options is to boot from a CD. There is a file cdboot.bs I think that Grub actually load from a floppy to pass the booting to a CD drive. It certainly works in my case.

Basically the PC boots up a Grub menu from a Dos 7.10 floppy. From the menu you choose CD drive and the controll is passed to whatever available in the CD drive.

Seems a long shot to do something every BIOS supposed to do it by default.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice