1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

looking for motherboard replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sacdude, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sacdude

sacdude Thread Starter

hi there,
    i'm trying to replace the motherboard in my computer. it's an hp pavilion a809rs. i've attached a couple of pictures of the motherboard.

i've searched around the internet for replacements, but i'm having a problem. if you look at the photos, you can see that the heatsink on this unit is quite large. and it's the type that you can't just unscrew from the top or the bottom of the board. it's got 4 plastic pegs that poke through the bottom of the board, but i can't figure out any way to dislodge the heatsink from the board. i tried to move them and maybe push them through, and they don't budge at all.

so i guess that's the main question. do you have any ideas about how i can get the heatsink off this motherboard?

and also the replacements i've seen for this board online all have the 4 holes around the cpu thing where you can attach the heatsink to the board, but those 4 holes form a perfect square. the holes on the bottom of my motherboard definitely form a rectangle. geez, now i'm more confused than ever.

i've replaced these things before, so i know how to do it, but this oversized heatsink that's like stamped onto the board is giving me grief. please help!!! i'm desperate.

thankyou.

Attached Files:

2. BG-0

BG-0

That's one dirty CPU HS, once again.
    For the actual problem/whatever: Close-up pics of the rear side of the motherboard please?

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

You should be able to lift up on the metal latches on each side of the top of the heatsink and it should release it from the heatsink retension mechanism.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

Here's a diagram of how an Intel standard socket 478 cooler connects to the heatsink retension mechanism. HP uses a proprietary cooler, but from the pictures it looks as if it should release the same way an Intel cooler releases.

Attached Files:

5. sacdude

sacdude Thread Starter

thank you for the responses!

i was finally able to get the heatsink off. i hadn't seen this kind of latch before so it really threw me (see picture).

hey i've attached a few more photos: 1 of the heatsink cradle, 1 of the bottom of the heatsink, 1 of the bottom side of the board, and 1 that looks at the board straight on so you can hopefully see how the cradle attaches to the motherboard.

i guess i'm still wondering if this (obviously) rectangular heatsink and cradle is going to fit on these so-called "replacement" boards. i just don't see it. the heatsink holes on the boards i've looked at online all look like they're in a square. and how do i detach the heatsink cradle anyway? argh!

this is the number on the motherboard: MS-6577 VER:4.1

does anyone have any ideas that might help me? please?

Attached Files:

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

I can't tell by your pictures, but does your heatsink retension mechanism look like the attached pic? If so, when you buy a new socket 478 board the heatsink retension mechanism should be pre-installed.

Attached Files:

7. brite750

brite750

You do realize that if you buy a motherboard that isnt the same one, that your front panel wiring and I/O plate may be a problem and also the operating system that came with your HP will not function unless it sees that MB.

8. brite750

brite750

all of the MS-6577 VER:4.1 I have googled all look like a rectagular hsf mount just like your picture. e-bay has dozens of them.

9. sacdude

sacdude Thread Starter

win2kpro: yes it looks exactly like that.

brite750: i checked ebay for this model number, but instead of finding dozens i only found 3. and 2 of them have about a month to go, and the other one they want a hundred bucks for.

i googled just the model number but didn't come up with many sites actually selling that board. i checked newegg and tigerdirect and searched for the model number (even without the "version 4.1") and still couldn't find one.

i'm sorry to be seeming so ignorant, but if someone could just point me to an actual page where this exact item is being sold at a reasonable price i would sure appreciate it.

10. brite750

brite750

Soc 478 is very old tech so chances are will not find on TD or NE and as I said if you dont buy the same MB you will have to buy a oem or retail copy of XP. The MB is made by msi but I dont know if it will cause problems with the OS or not.

11. brite750

brite750

12. brite750

brite750

13. brite750

brite750

your pc is very old and will be hard and expensive to find an MB for, I doubt you will find a new replacement MB and even used ones are going for $60 to $150 and you take your chances with ebay. If you go with ebay I would not get one from China.
    You could probably build a very nice pc for around $350 that would blow the doors off the HP, you might even be able to use your existing hdd and optical drives. There are some very cheap but powerful cpuz and ram right now, way more powerful than a 7 year 478 socket. I'd build a new one before I would sink any money into the HP.

14. brite750

brite750

15. sacdude

sacdude Thread Starter

okay i finally figured out what i was doing wrong on ebay. i looked at all the photos of the mobos side by side and they mostly all look identical to the one i'm replacing.

so i guess as long as it's listed as "new" on ebay, it should be okay. looks like i can be out the door for about $60.

is that what y'all would mostly recommend? the ebay approach?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/819374

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice